Felder BF-6 planer table setup

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rich1911

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm getting my BF-6 that I bought a while ago ready to use.

I've just been checking the planer tables and found that they are both tipping slightly inwards towards the cutter block.

From what I've read/seen the tables need to be dead level with each other (before setting the correct heights).

The manual says the tables are factory set, but that was back in 1993!

How critical is getting the tables exctactly planar with each other? I am seeing about 1mm gap at the cutter block with a long straight edge running from the far ends of the tables.

There is adjustment on the hexagonal rail the tables clamp down onto but I don't see any obvious adjustment on the hinge side where the table runs on a dovetail rail.

The beds should be coplaner, is there adjustment via the bolts in the hinges? I’m wondering if you machine has been lifted by the beds which could have caused the problem which is why you should never lift a planer by them.

If the beds are not coplaner, you will produce a taper cut. 1mm is an Awful lot, I set them using a straight edge and feeler gauges to better than 1 thou typically. There will be a way of adjusting them as already stated. The first check though, is that the outfeed table is parallel to the cutter block.

Thanks everyone. I will take a closer look at the hinge mounting hardware.

I think I need to get the hinge side set then adjust the lock down side to match it.

The tables are square to the cutter block, the far ends of the tables appear to be lifted slightly.

I'm on the Felder group so will ask there too.

I have the parts drawing so that might help!

Attachments

• bf6 planer.jpg
    bf6 planer.jpg
    254.7 KB · Views: 11
Looking at the arrangement, I could be wrong, but I wouldn’t expect the table to go out of alignment and the front edge still remain parallel with the block (measure to the actual block not the top of the knives). Normally one side is low, which indicates that the opposite back corner is the one that’s out of adjustment.
First thing I would do is check everything is tight. It’s amazing with these systems how often the bolts vibrate loose. Then systematically measure that is wrong. I went through the process on another recent thread.
https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/threads/help.127614/#post-1425027If it’s been lifted by the tables, I again wouldn’t expect it to be parallel, if it has it’s probably the hinge rod that’s bent. Rotating it by 90 degrees and testing again is a quick check.

All done now, with some help from the Felder group. Took a few days to get it all set dead level and square. Planer cuts lovely now. Thanks for everyones help.

Back