Cordless jigsaw recommendation ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blister

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Looking to buy the above as I have a big job comming up soon , Will be cutting 12 and 18mm En636 Class 3 ply
Lots of it, can't use a table saw, track saw, or bandsaw as the cuts are all curved

Last edited:
My recommendation would be Milwaukee as first choice with a 5ah battery(s) brushless followed by makita and dewalt of similar spec, you don’t mention a budget for your intended purchase so the Milwaukee is probably the most expensive. Does it have to be cordless as a corded jigsaw would be cheaper!! On the corded saws you can get them with “ pendulum action which can help with thicker materials but I’m not certain if the cordless models offer this feature. Most quality companies will require you to register your purchase to validate your warranty..

Budget is up to £500 , for that it needs to be perfect and reliable with good battery life , It could be corded, however not keen on that as I will be processing 20, 8 foot by 4 foot sheets and dealing with the cable getting stuck and constantly needing to free it up would drive mr bonkers :eek:

In that case have a look at screwfix -other suppliers also available- the one in the pic comes with 2 5ah batteries and charger . If you have a look on net I’m sure that they do a 6 ah model but of course the price will rise.

Attachments

• F5D38369-F086-4BE7-86E6-C69C10DB916A.jpeg
    F5D38369-F086-4BE7-86E6-C69C10DB916A.jpeg
    86.8 KB · Views: 19
I had a DeWalt cordless, I sold it as the base plate cracked. It twisted so badly it became inaccurate and I attempted to straighten it not expecting any success. At the same time my drill developed a fault and the chuck needed replacing. I have since got rid of my DeWalt gear and switched to Milwaukee - I know you pay the premium, but there is a noticeable difference in quality. I haven't a cordless jigsaw now but I would seriously think about Milwaukee Fuel - SGS and Powertoolworld are worth checking out (I've bought from both), their prices are sometimes better than Screwfix.

If you have a lot of work to do there's something to said for having for having three or four smaller batteries rather than two huge ones, because of their lighter weight.

A while back I remember @JobandKnock was praising the Maefell P1CC

Mafell P1CC 110v 900w Jigsaw MaxiMAX in T-MAX

Assumed trade so this is the 110 volt version and in my opinion 110 corded tools seem to last longer than their 230 volt versions, maybe the OEM knows the enviroment they will be used in!

This won a design award in 2011 so looks to be older technology , Also I assume it is a brush type motor ? I would rather go with the more modern brushless type, Thanks

I think where the mafell stands out is that it is the only jigsaw that uses an extra thick blade and unlike other jig saws, my Bosch included they do not always cut perpendicular. Old technology is only old technology when something new arrives that can perform better, there is a cordless version of this Mafell in the pipeline but I dare say expensive and doubt it will perform any better. It will be great when it does come out because hopefully the corded version will drop in price and I will be tempted, so nice to have a jig saw that cuts like a bandsaw!

A while back I remember @JobandKnock was praising the Maefell P1CC

Mafell P1CC 110v 900w Jigsaw MaxiMAX in T-MAX

Assumed trade so this is the 110 volt version and in my opinion 110 corded tools seem to last longer than their 230 volt versions, maybe the OEM knows the enviroment they will be used in!
I use mainly 110 if at all possible, when my 240 v tools need replacing I will always go with 110 if poss. I’ve never personally used mayfell but another good brand for sure .

I had a DeWalt cordless, I sold it as the base plate cracked. It twisted so badly it became inaccurate and I attempted to straighten it not expecting any success. At the same time my drill developed a fault and the chuck needed replacing. I have since got rid of my DeWalt gear and switched to Milwaukee - I know you pay the premium, but there is a noticeable difference in quality. I haven't a cordless jigsaw now but I would seriously think about Milwaukee Fuel - SGS and Powertoolworld are worth checking out (I've bought from both), their prices are sometimes better than Screwfix.

If you have a lot of work to do there's something to said for having for having three or four smaller batteries rather than two huge ones, because of their lighter weight.
The main reason I advised 5 or 6 ah is they will run all day and being a jigsaw I’d assume he will be working on a flat surface as opposed overhead. I agree about the weight as when I helped my friend ( plasterer) after 20 mins of driving drywall screws into a new ceiling my arms were on fire 😢😢

I got the makita 18v pendulum barrel grip and it’s an absolute weapon. With a sharp blade it Will cut sink cutouts in 40mm oak worktops. Starts and stops very quickly. Feels like a little sewing machine in operation. One slight annoyance is that on starting a cut it will unpredictably hop up to full power (I guess where you put the motor under a minimum threshold of work) but after using it twice you get used to that. The barrel grip is way more comfortable for me, and seems to allow tighter cornering, and also as a bonus you can cut scribe panels easier from underneath the panel, holding the saw underneath it too, therefore hitting the line more accurately allowing for blade deflection etc..

I got the makita 18v pendulum barrel grip and it’s an absolute weapon. With a sharp blade it Will cut sink cutouts in 40mm oak worktops. Starts and stops very quickly. Feels like a little sewing machine in operation. One slight annoyance is that on starting a cut it will unpredictably hop up to full power (I guess where you put the motor under a minimum threshold of work) but after using it twice you get used to that. The barrel grip is way more comfortable for me, and seems to allow tighter cornering, and also as a bonus you can cut scribe panels easier from underneath the panel, holding the saw underneath it too, therefore hitting the line more accurately allowing for blade deflection etc..
Also forgot to mention - the dust extraction on it actually works really well too as the cut is quite enclosed by the base

I have read previous comments but at my last job we had all Dewalt gear and I couldn’t fault the jigsaw. It absolutely flew through ply and MDF, I think a lot is about buying decent blades to.

Cordless Dewalt Jigsaw 2 x. 5AH Batteries
That's the one I had. The sole twisted and I had to keep a cable tie on the adjuster or it would drift out of square mid cut.

How good do you want the finished edges. ? Surely it's better to make a template out of 6 mm mdf and finish with a top bearing router bit. I would think any jigsaw will struggle to maintain accuracy in 18 mm ply ?

I would think any jigsaw will struggle to maintain accuracy in 18 mm ply ?
Are we talking cutting to the line or in the cut being perpendicular? I would think no jigsaw can deliver a finished edge that would match what a router can deliver and I find jigsaws ok in sheet goods but often not a perpendicular cut, that blade just flexes and gives a nice curve in the wrong direction but then it always comes down to working within a tools ability.

This might make people think, that Mafell may deliver amazing results, it does not use a blade guide behind so it can cut in either direction BUT £20 for a blade!!!!!!!!! Mafell CUnexW1 75x3mm Wood Blade 2pk

Definitely a good choice - let us know how it performs -also remember that you can now purchase other Milwaukee tools as and when you need them but go for the ( bare option) no battery or charger as they are all compatible with your charger/ batteries. This option is a lot cheaper but remember to register online ( warranty)

Latest posts

Back