Coopering

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

orangetlh

Established Member
Reaction score
Has anyone ever tried to make a barrel using coopering or similar. Im looking to make a small 30lt one for fermenting some good ol' zider. I went to a small zider brewery last year and was amazed by the size of their barrels... well dont supose you call them barrels when there that big! One of them must have been about 7mtrs in diameter and about 15mtrs high. Think one of those might be a bit big for our shed.

Just in case you're interested
orangetlh":bu4o1u2x said:
I went to a small zider brewery last year and was amazed by the size of their barrels... well dont supose you call them barrels when there that big!

Firkin 9 gals
Kilderkin 18 gals
Barrel 36 gals
Hogshead 54 gals
Butt 108 gals
Tun 216 gals

But that's beer, might not apply to that Somerset stuff :)

Dom

We had a tour of Westons Cider last week, some BIG barrels/vatts or whatever you want to call them, there.

Somewhere in the region of 15,000 litres iirc. Somes as old a 100 years!

orangethlt
I am in Ross on Wye, just down the road. If you want to buy wooden cider barrels I have a friend who makes cider at Broome Farm and am sure he could supply barrels. He has access to whisky and rum barrels which add a real bouquet (kick?) to the brew. PM me if you are interested.

Chunko.

so the general opinion is to buy them then. i spose your right. Thanks for the link Ike, had a quick flick through ebay and found a few for sale, those look better tho.
Hitch, yes it was westons in much marcle that we had a tour of, went in summer so we didnt actually see anything being produced.
And Chunko, thank you for your help, i will pm you when i have found some room in the shed and if im feeling rude enough might pick his brains on best way of making it. thanks for yout help everyone

Back