Containers. Planning permissions?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jacob

New Luddism. Wake up and resist.
Reaction score
House move imminent. A 20ft container would make things really easy i.e. to have one in situ to move stuff into, possibly long term.
I wouldn't have to throw away my lifetimes collection of bits of wood!
Would I need permissions etc? Other issues?
Looking at S Jones Containers | Experts in the Use of Shipping Containers . Any other suggestions in the midlands?

House move imminent. A 20ft container would make things really easy i.e. to have one in situ to move stuff into, possibly long term.
I wouldn't have to throw away my lifetimes collection of bits of wood!
Would I need permissions etc? Other issues?
Looking at S Jones Containers | Experts in the Use of Shipping Containers . Any other suggestions in the midlands?

Mk containers Milton Keynes are good. We ended up using Cleveland containers as they had the flatpack containers we needed in stock. Nationwide delivery.

As far as permissions etc, check with your local planning officer but you should find its covered by the same rules that apply to big sheds, so no permission needed as long as you follow the few simple rules

Are you looking at it being there long term or just whilst you move ? I would think a container is classed as temporary like a wooden shed so cannot see why any issues so just touch base with the local planing dept and it could just be a case of where you put it. Not good to throw any wood out as it will come in handy at some point. So where are you moving to ?

A container isn’t a building or structure so the issue is the use of the land. If a container is sited within your domestic property and used only ‘incidental to the enjoyment of the dwelling’ PP should not be required.

Still on the case. Moving one in seems impossible so am renting a 20 footer on a lorry park while I sort out a flat pack for the backyard.
Rent £120 a month plus vat. Is that reasonable? seems OK to me.

Still on the case. Moving one in seems impossible so am renting a 20 footer on a lorry park while I sort out a flat pack for the backyard.
Rent £120 a month plus vat. Is that reasonable? seems OK to me.
You could make a flatpack out of sip panels made from plywood. Just a thought.

You could make a flatpack out of sip panels made from plywood. Just a thought.
Yes thanks, got it in mind. Flat packs are available ready-made made with SIP panels, just needing erecting.
The DIY option is to construct a frame, add OSB and shiplap/feather edge outside, insulation between, some sort of board inside. Plus roof options.
Is there a weather-proof OSB to go under shiplap or roof coverings?

Last edited:
Yes thanks, got it in mind. Flat packs are available ready-made made with SIP panels, just needing erecting.
The DIY option is to construct a frame, add OSB and shiplap/feather edge outside, insulation between, some sort of board inside. Plus roof options.
Is there a weather-proof OSB to go under shiplap or roof coverings?
Or another option is to buy walk in fridge panels which are the same as used in the flatpack containers. But thicker usually 100mm+
You can chisel out 2" of insulation and fit over a base board.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/23527886...tixoXeJTeO&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Small point. Containers are not great for storing stuff that's moisture- sensitive, e.g. furniture. We used one for exactly the same reason during our eco self build a few years ago and condensation was an issue, especially over winter in our grim climate.

Small point. Containers are not great for storing stuff that's moisture- sensitive, e.g. furniture. We used one for exactly the same reason during our eco self build a few years ago and condensation was an issue, especially over winter in our grim climate.
Am hoping that polythene bags/sheets will keep of the condensation

I’m paying £120 plus VAT here. I’ve not has any issues with storing timber in them, they are one-use with some sort of anti-condensation paint on them. Had one with timber in for nearly three years and everything inside is fine. Not the coldest place in the world -south Oxfordshire- but a decent range of temperatures.

You really need one with built in insulation, a bit more expensive but probably cheaper than doing it yourself.

In 2015/16 I was paying about £100 equivalent a month to store a 20' while our house was built. So your rate isn't bad.

Pete
Sounds pretty reasonable. If you are going to need it for a fair while there are companies that will sell you one with a guaranteed buy back price. Can work out cheaper. My neighbour used a firm somewhere in Essex that he found on e bay. Delivered onto his drive, then collected again 12 or so months later. Don't know if he will still have the details as it was a couple of years ago.

Sounds pretty reasonable. If you are going to need it for a fair while there are companies that will sell you one with a guaranteed buy back price. Can work out cheaper. My neighbour used a firm somewhere in Essex that he found on e bay. Delivered onto his drive, then collected again 12 or so months later. Don't know if he will still have the details as it was a couple of years ago.
I went with the Big Steel Box option because they dropped the box in our suburban driveway with a tilt bed truck for me to load. Removed it and took it to their yard and brought me a second to fill. When they had both they loaded them on to a truck and shipped them to Saskatoon for about $3,000Cad (1,600km) and held them in their yard until we were ready. Then brought them over for me to unload. We didn't have a property to store them on and when we did the construction took far longer than it should have. Less than decent contractor. In hindsight I should have moved the containers on to our property when we bought it which would have saved a bunch of bucks. Buying would have been cheaper especially in 2015 but the logistics would have been a nightmare. It was a fast move so didn't know where to keep them. The area we built in didn't allow containers to be on the property more than a few months. Now they can be permanent. Selling it after the need was over would have gotten some money back but not until after Covid as before nobody wanted them because of the number in the area. I would love to get 3 and set them up in a "U" with a roof over top but SWMBO is having none of it.

For what it is worth I had no rust on anything as I protected everything while loading the sea cans and it is very dry here so it wasn't needed. Double lucky.

Pete

Latest posts

Back