Constructional Veneer's

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeJhn

Grunkel
Reaction score
I need some Oak Constructional Veneer to wrap up the side of a very torturously shaped handrail, I need to build this up to approximately 7mm thick so need 2mm or somewhere near that, anyone any recommendations of where to source this.

Mike

I see they have some 2.5mm, in your experience will this wrap along the side of a replacement handrail like this:

HR.jpg

The others on the stair are in very bad condition comparatively.

Mike

Attachments

• HR.jpg
    HR.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 196
Not totally clear as to what you are doing. Yes it should get around one curve but thats a compound curve so you will end up doing lots of edge joins I think. Also you would need a flat on the edge of the handrail otherwise you would be torturing the veneer which I dont think it would handle. Not done anythink like that before so dont hold me to this.

The actual construction of the pice will be like this:

Block handrail.jpg

The veneer is to give bulk to allow routing to a handrail profile, well thats the plan anyway.

Mike

Attachments

• Block handrail.jpg
    Block handrail.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 189
So you do have a flat but it's still a compound curve to contend with.

Yes, so its a question of how wide I can source the veneer that will dictate the single length of each piece or how many edge joints I will have to make. (hammer)

Mike

Edge joining is pretty easy. Tape will hold it together fine if you are joining them on a flat surface to start with

MikeJhn":3agu66if said:
The actual construction of the pice will be like this. Mike
I'm struggling to see how you can make that work. As has been already said, you're looking at a compound curve that veneer (construction veneer or standard decorative thickness) won't want to conform to, unless you make the veneer into short and narrow pieces - think of the problem as being akin to wrapping a sheet of paper around a sphere, e.g. a cricket ball size without the paper creasing.

The approach I would take would be the traditional one of joining shorter sections of long grain solid wood end to end to follow the curve, which would then allow you to create the profile.

It's somewhat similar in manner to the image below sourced from THISisCarpentry.com here: http://www.thisiscarpentry.com/2011/11/ ... -handrail/ Admittedly the profiles and complexity of your finished rail don't match the one in the image and link, but the principle of construction is essentially the same. To be honest, I really don't see the logic of your approach using, what, thirty or so tiny blocks joined together apparently end grain to end grain - it seems like a lot of unnecessary joints, each one of which is relatively weak. Slainte.
tangent-vs.-modern-New.jpg

Wreathed handrails are just a twist and curve, nothing like a sphere, your imagination is running away with you. =D>

In the method I have proposed the blocks of wood are on double aluminium rods bent into shape and glued with expanding polyurethane glue, its a well tried method and much easier than trying to source timber in the sections needed to facilitate the depth of drop and twist of the upper handrails, obviously any standard wreaths will be made in the traditional manner after setting out as I have done on the rising Volute I have already made.

This is how it is done: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRUOcNwWpLI

And another: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QwY5s1QJWas

Mike

MikeJhn":2637kvd9 said:
Wreathed handrails are just a twist and curve, nothing like a sphere, your imagination is running away with you. =D>
Sorry for the delay in replying, but I've been rather busy. Nothing wrong with an active imagination ... probably most of the time, and I can't decide if the hand-clapping emoji you included is sarcasm or congratulations on your part, ha, ha.

Those were a couple of interesting videos you pointed us all to. Still, originally I 'imagined' your intention was to wrap veneer around a curved profile like the one in your photograph of the existing complete handrail (shown earlier), which appears to be something close to a circular profile or section. That led to me making the analogy with wrapping paper around a ball.

I didn't realise your intention was, probably, to create an essentially square or rectangular hand rail section, apply two or three layers of veneer on each edge or face of the profile, and then shape those applied veneers to the desired near circular profile pictured. It didn't occur to me, I suppose, because I'd generally try to avoid cutting through glue lines at what might be an acute angle. I'm not sure if that's likely (acute angles), but I try to avoid acute or shallow intersections between two or more layers of wood or veneer which can result in awkward or less than aesthetically pleasing changes in grain pattern, along with some concomitant extended evidence of glue lines, as I'm sure you know.

Anyway, all of the above is probably just my imagination running away with me again. I must learn to curb that tendency in myself, as the last thing we need is a furniture designer maker or woodworker with a tendency towards creativity or flights of fancy (sic), ha, ha. Slainte.

Well now you know how they are constructed you will not have to struggle anymore, the realisation may come to you sooner the next time someone posts something you don't know about, you are never to old to learn. Loss of memory is a natural concomitant of old age.

Mike

Back