Conspiracy nuts. (split from Re: How does this work?)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
sunnybob":3a7x94aa said:
NickM":3a7x94aa said:
Suffolkboy":3a7x94aa said:
I do quite a lot of rifle shooting and consider myself to be fairly okay at it, but the other week I had the opportunity to try pistol shooting. What amazed me was how bloody difficult it is!

If it were not for them being illegal over here I could definitely see me getting well into it.

I do a little bit with black powder through my shotgun so I might do some research into the legalities of black powder pistols. Does anybody here have one?

I don’t know the details (I only shoot prone target rifle) but historic black powder pistols are still permitted (I’ve had a go with some king of historic revolver at Bisley).

You’re right about pistol shooting being hard though!
i;m a life member of my club in somerset, there are many clubs still out there and black poder pistols are available.
your profile says you are in lancs;
if so
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q ... rUYYdAjfp7

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q ... ciLaOB19Lz

Anywhere else in the UK, find your nearest here
https://nra.org.uk/clubs/
if youre in another country, let me know and I know where to look for you

Thanks very much. I'll spend a bit of time looking into that.

I do air rifle shooting and like seeing live targets drop. Anything up to 60 metres is good but I do rely heavily on the distance measurer but it means it's a clean kill.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Coming from a slightly less regulated background me and my brother used to fire my old mans ancient .177 Diane out the front window at the bus stop sign. My lord you used to see people move faster than they thought they could. Im starting to laugh just from the memories.
The world has changed irrevocably since then.
Its probably a bit safer tbh. Lol. :twisted:

Bm101":2o55lqvg said:
Coming from a slightly less regulated background me and my brother used to fire my old mans ancient .177 Diane out the front window at the bus stop sign. My lord you used to see people move faster than they thought they could. Im starting to laugh just from the memories.
The world has changed irrevocably since then.
Its probably a bit safer tbh. Lol. :twisted:

My father in his teens and twenties used to go down onto the waterfront and shoot clays out of a trap with a 12 bore right off the sand with a few mates, surrounded by houses and boats. Another time when he was a lot younger he shot out a window in his house with an air rifle when he was pretending to aim at a seagull on the house opposite.

It really was a different time. I'm very wary of people seeing me when I get the gun out, it's kind of frowned upon by regular folk these days even way out west.

This thread is definitely more "Gun Nuts" than "Conspiracy Nuts" :lol:

When I was ten or twelve years old I had friends who used to own their own shotguns and use them unsupervised. No one thought it unusual. Not many years before that it was easier to get a licence for a rifle than a shotgun.

I grew up in london, but Box hill and Upshott woods was an hours push bike ride away. One time there were about a dozen of us aged 14 to maybe 20, we push biked to the woods and had an air pistol battle, 2 teams, just like paintball but without any safety equipment. I got hit a couple times but luckily into my army surplus combat jacket.One got hit in a very tender place when he turned around and bent dow to reload :shock: :shock: :D :D
looking back, maybe we were a BIT reckless =D> =D> =D> =D>

looking back, maybe we were a BIT reckless

Worst I ever witnessed was a thunderflash (minor explosive ) going off under a (static) landrover's fuel tank..."brown trouser moment" in no way comes remotely near to expressing the emtions engendered...

Sam

We used to have roman candle fights each bonfire night as well. all along Putney tow path where they hold the boat races. Weird, but not one of us received any damage.
Oh, just remembered, I did shoot someone in the leg with an arrow once , talk about a lucky shot! over 30 yards with a bamboo garden cane as an arrow, using a bow made of another longer bamboo cane and a piece of string,
8) 8) 8) 8)
Oh (again) its all coming back to me, there was a really weird kid I think his name was Harry, lived opposite chelsea football ground, his thing was making sugar bombs in plastic containers and blowing out all the windows in public phone booths. But even I drew the line at that level of insanity.
Oh the innocence of youth. :roll: :roll:

SammyQ":31y6qjzx said:
looking back, maybe we were a BIT reckless

Worst I ever witnessed was a thunderflash (minor explosive ) going off under a (static) landrover's fuel tank..."brown trouser moment" in no way comes remotely near to expressing the emtions engendered...

Sam

That reminds me of a story I was told during my basic training by our Trg Cpl about them being on exercise near hohne and having a wild boar run in the back of his 9x9 that was attached to the back of his FV439 and the only way they could get it out was to throw in a thunderflash to stun it, the young lad in the back of the vehicle on watch apparently had a bit of a smelly time too.

sunnybob":35wd9kd7 said:
We used to have roman candle fights each bonfire night as well. all along Putney tow path where they hold the boat races. Weird, but not one of us received any damage.
Oh, just remembered, I did shoot someone in the leg with an arrow once , talk about a lucky shot! over 30 yards with a bamboo garden cane as an arrow, using a bow made of another longer bamboo cane and a piece of string,
8) 8) 8) 8)
Oh (again) its all coming back to me, there was a really weird kid I think his name was Harry, lived opposite chelsea football ground, his thing was making sugar bombs in plastic containers and blowing out all the windows in public phone booths. But even I drew the line at that level of insanity.
Oh the innocence of youth. :roll: :roll:
Dutch arrows were a thing when I was young. No one died, surprisingly.

And then this (it's not me):
Dad-bow-and-arrow-1-621x400.jpg

I'm not that old. :lol:
we did destroy a large number of unsuitable things by shooting them.
we did set fireworks of and turn the allotments in to a a good rendition of the Somme.
we made french darts
we made blow guns
we made small incendiary devices following the anarchist cookbook (remember that?, you'd be on a register for that now).

we didn't shoot each other (I'd be bought up with range rules and muzzle discipline from a early age) although I'm positive others did (when spoil sport me wasn't around).

I'm not complaining, I had a lot of fun, wouldn't let my kids do it now though. :) Thing no.1 is just getting to a age where he'll be allowed, under supervision to use the pistol, I'm wondering about a red dot so I can see where he's aiming before his finger goes near the trigger. I've got a fairly short stocked rifle (and a spare stock I could cut down) that's only putting out around the 6ftlb marker that I might let him have a try at prone.

My son was bought up with a lot more supervision than I had :roll:
I taught him proper handling of firearms and he was shooting 44 magnum when he was about 12. Of course REAL guns are a whole different ball game to air pistols. He had an air rifle when he was around 14, but just didnt have the interest and it .... you know what, I dont remember what happened to it. Damn I'm getting old. :shock: :arrow:
I have a picture of him somewhere, in his school uniform holding a Franchhi SPAS tactical shotgun, I shall have to look it out, it would frighten schoolteachers anywhere. :D :D

Me and my mate Harvey went metal detecting when we were about 14 on an old ww2 airfield.
We found in excess of 500 live bullets in a case.
Oh my god, the stuff we blew up was amazing, contained spagetti cordite, for about 2 weeks, then my dad found the stash, got a good hiding and made to tip them in the river.

A relative of mine shot his own brother in the eye with an air rifle when they were kids, permanently blinding him. These stories on here are making me feel queasy, and I'm glad we live in more responsible times with respect to weapons.

sunnybob":100fsi7u said:
Of course REAL guns are a whole different ball game to air pistols.

I sort of disagree with that. the airguns get as much respect as the REAL guns do. granted one of mine had to be a ticket (now sold) but they are still stored in a locked cabinet that's bolted to a wall and out of sight with pellets store in a separate locked container as with live rounds.
Range discipline is still maintained at all times with proven clear and hands off before advancing. It's just the way I was taught and it feels odd not to follow the same methods as with live round, the rifles are still fatal if not treated right (both PCP are tuned with heavy rounds to 11.8lbft and checked when in use every 2 months (I have my own chronograph). the stuff from yesteryear wasn't even close to that sort of output (the airsporter has it's manufacture test cert with it set at a dizzy height of 6.6ftlb and I dowt that was completely true).

I appreciate not everybody is going to agree with me on this but it's the way I do it and I'm unlikely to be dissuaded.

bare in mind with live in a culture where eating washing powder is a thing, filming your mate with his head concreted in to a microwave is acceptable and just for **** and pickles this generation (not all of them, but to prevent the few we have to control the masses) will ride a bike down the middle of a busy street "swerving". No, I don't think we should let them have firearms. :)

Let's not go down the knife discussion, that way bad things lie.

MikeG.":2gxsrqka said:
A relative of mine shot his own brother in the eye with an air rifle when they were kids, permanently blinding him. These stories on here are making me feel queasy, and I'm glad we live in more responsible times with respect to weapons.

Completely agree, we got lucky, looking back we were totally irresponsible with air rifles, pistols, arrows.

It does constantly amaze me how we all got through childhood and our teens.
i knew of one lad (my brothers friend, 5 years older than me) who lost an eye because of an air pistol but that was self inflicted, but there were dozens of us all doing completely stupid things.
Kids today, they dont know theyre born. :roll: :roll: =D> =D>

Back