Consistency of measurement

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yea but no but yea but no.

think this might be a case for one of our exports to post another
thread which might help us all learn what when and how.

might even answer your proper question about accuracy roger.
great link by the way.
paul :wink:

Paul

Get hold of the City & Guilds texts - I'd recommend Brian Porter's books "Carpentry & Joinery" vols. 1, 2 and 3 (Butterworth Heinemann), but I can't for the life of me remember which one has the layout stuff in it - probably vol. 1 as vol.3 is all about making windows (including sashes), staircases, doors, etc. I'll take a look see later and post again if someone else doesn't beat me to it.

That link is interesting - personally I use plywood offcuts, thin MDF, hardboard, etc - in fact anything which is to hand and scrap. I use a lot of sheet stock, so it's the obvious choice.

Oh, and the proper term in the UK is supposed to be rod - so I'm told..... (beaten into me at an impressionable age)

Scrit

thinking again, i have read a couple of articles including one with nice
pictures in FWWor FHB some time ago, but somehow that often seems "cold"

let me run through what i think it might be possible.

i have another unit to build in the other alcove, there is a rib jutting out.

so i use a "rod" and lets say to start i find a piece of MFC to give me some
clarity. i mark one end as the "master" corner. then i mark the edge of the
alcove, and the details of the rib. all of this i put on the front.
but what about the depth of the alcove, and the height of the units,
where and how do i put them in?

we are obviously dealing in the same way as i do with a cad programme on the computer, and have xyz co-ordinates, so can we talk in that way
thus x is horizontal/width
y is vertical/height and
z is depth/front to back.

so the question is what is the percieved best way to allow you to understand what is what, and where it goes. and where do you take the
horizontal median from, "the middle of the room" because it gives you the best horizontal, how often do you mark for the different floor levels?

hope i have asked all the right questions.

Engineer, if you want a vibrantly interesting discussion on rods (aka story sticks) that will leave you gasping for more from the same author I cannot recommend highly enough two issues of Furniture & Cabinetmaking, issues 85 and 86, February and March 2004.

You will be absolutely astounded by the premium photography, the scintillating prose, the erudition, the wit, and just how amazing all round the author is.

I guess I ought to admit that it wuz me wot rit 'em, just so you can tell my opinion of the author is completely unbiased, ha, ha-- ha, ha, ha. Slainte.

so now let me get this straight, i have to fly through my filing system
and find some magazines from 2 years ago to boost your ego AGAIN :lol: :twisted: :twisted: :lol:

first i have to figure where those mags are, surprisingly i still have them
around but how much sawdust is covering them i don't yet know.

stand by, i will review it :-k

Sgian Dubh":1brbegwl said:
I guess I ought to admit that it wuz me wot rit 'em, just so you can tell my opinion of the author is completely unbiased, ha, ha-- ha, ha, ha. Slainte.
Saved by the guy wiv the funny monniker...... again! :wink:

Thanks Sgian!

Scrit

hi guys, i'm enjoying this thread as I am just about to build this boiler cover for a friend and i'd been scratching my head on how to take accurate measurements for construction off-site. Looks like I need to make up a couple of rods and get round there to measure up!

Saved by the guy wiv the funny monniker...... again!

must admit i hadnt seen that spelling of skeandu for a long time. still around some Edinburgh shops and the odd one near Peebles though.

The little knife that pokes down the sock of a man in Kilt for those that dont know.

I

My 2 pennorth.

In the 60's I was the foreman on the job, we were putting a a suspended ceiling under a brick built barrel ceiling, in an old cotton mill, that was being refurbished, the customer wanted the suspended ceiling to follow the contour of the existing brick work, the clerk of works came to me and said " that end looks to me like its out of alignment" my answer to him was " do you want it be right as per the drawing OR do you want it to look right". he went away and came back about an hour later with the answer " make it look right" , The moral was he was happy, I was happy and above all the customer was happy, job done and dusted.

BTW the money was good then, my take home pay was in the region of £65.00 per week

Sgain Dubh wrote:

I cannot recommend highly enough two issues of Furniture & Cabinetmaking, issues 85 and 86, February and March 2004.

....and good articles they was too, as is most stuff in F&C - Rob

Roger, if you can't locate the back issues, I do of course, still have the original text including images on my hard drive all in Word format. Slainte.

thanks jacob, that gets clearer, but what is it about lea and perrins
in derbyshire??? :?

the gin i can understand :lol: :lol:

Mr_Grimsdale":9x8sir8m said:
Anyway, what you should NEVER EVER do is what someone said earlier in this thread - i.e. to take marks from one piece of wood applied to another. If you do this it's like chinese whispers and every time you do it you could be magnifying the error.

The "someone" would be me.

I disagree, and quite strongly. How on earth does this "magnify" "the error". What error? This is exactly what is done when making dovetails, should one NEVER EVER mark pins from tails (or the other way round if you swing that way)?

Mr_Grimsdale":xhi1vviy said:
At this point you can (in theory) throw away your tape measure as everything has been decided. You are now on auto-pilot. You just drop your planed up bits of timber (in opposite pairs where they are paired) onto the rod and take off the measurements with a set square, then mark all round each piece, and you're laughing - you can't go wrong (in theory).
Perzakerley! :lol: Tapes are a major source of errors (one of my hobby horses)

I've just had 2 G&Ts and a shot of Lea and Perrins.
I'd cut down on the Worcester Sauce if I were you - it's obviously making you feisty.

I'd like to see that. Rods are a particular enthusiasm with me - as possibly the single most important thing every woodworker should understand.
Ah yes, but how will you ever convince those without the formal training? I admit that when I was taught how to make one many years ago I couldn't see the point. These days 80% of my pieces use them - they increase repeatability and consistency and I reckon that they speed the job up as well.

Scrit

Back