Consistency of measurement

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Serious discourse to syncopation in just 3 pages.....

Must be the G&Ts :wink:

Scrit

Mr_Grimsdale":13rma6do said:
Yes sorry - sweeping statements always have many exceptions. Of course you should mark pins from tails. But you shouldn't then mark tails from those pins (if you felt so inclined). That's where the error accumulates.

The 'rod' principle is that you are always referring back to base.

Take this case:
You need 2 identical length pieces. You measure one and cut it, then mark and measure #2 from #1, and then cut it. Bad idea indeed! You have indeed accumulated any error.

However, take this case:
You have a mark on your rod for the thickness of a member. The same mark will be used to make a notch to accept that member. So, you go and thickness the member from your rod. Now, by you philosophy, you should go make the notch from the rod as well. But, in fact, it is better (and more sound philisophically) to make the notch from the member, not from the rod, because the goal is NOT to have the as close as possible to the target size, the goal is to have them fit very well. If your thickness was a bit off, you want your notch to be a bit off, the same way. This is why the whole accuracy thing is troublesome. If they are both off but fit well, some definitions of accurate would say that is less accurate then if only one was off (but clearly they wouldn't fit well).

The story rod/stick thing is wonderful and far superior to measuring. But when fitting 2 pieces together, I would still insist that in many (i.e. the rule, not the excpetion) cases one is better marking one piece from another if they want them to fit well. This is entirely different from making repeated pieces, which is a different (but important) problem set.

Oh, replying to my own... doh.

Actually, I take back my first statement in fact.

If the goal is to have 2 pieces exactly 30", then one is better measuring both independently from the rod. However if the goals is to have both the same length (and say more or less 30"), then one is still probably better measuring one from the other. And even better again gang cuttting them....

Without reading the whole thread again and this may have been covered .
If making say 10 doors /windows etc , mark out one stile and one head .
These become the templates or rods and copy the marks from these two templates / rods as all the other stiles , heads ,mid rails , glazing bars and bottom rails will need to be the same on the other doors / windows.
If you dont do this the chinese whisper thing will come into play .
Ill go back to sleep now :lol:

Mr_Grimsdale":1a5u0rlk said:
Sgian Dubh":1a5u0rlk said:
Roger, if you can't locate the back issues, I do of course, still have the original text including images on my hard drive all in Word format. Slainte.
I'd like to see that. Rods are a particular enthusiasm with me - as possibly the single most important thing every woodworker should understand. Email?

cheers
Jacob

me too pls, if poss ?

WiZer, et al, there seems to be a few of you after the original text of the article on rods. If you'll click on the profile thingie or the www doo-dah at the bottom of this message you'll find a link to my email address. Drop me a note and I'll endeavour to oblige. Slainte.

Those of you that have contacted me either through the PM function provided by this forum, or privately via going via the WWW button link to my website that shows at the bottom of all my messages here I should have sent you a copy of the article under discussion.

If I haven't it's because of the following reason.

If you sent me a note through the private message function provided by this forum and didn't include your email address in the note please be aware that I can't attach documents when I reply to you via the same PM reply box.

Unfortunately I do need a valid email address. Thanks. Slainte.

Mr_Grimsdale":7bdd6kz0 said:
Coloured pencils might help but when you get used to it you find you can 'read' a rod and recognise what everything represents. Also the marks on the components can be read like a bar code - you soon get to know what each line, or particular group of lines, means
OK, call me perverse, but some of my rods contain details of differences between layouts on the same type of structure and I feel that they are clearer by having the differences highlighted in a different colour. For example I have a rod made for 722mm high kitchen base carcasses which holds the drilling centre lines for highline, drawerline and multi-drawer (2-, 3-, 4- and 5- drawer) cabinets. The only extra colour I normally is red a two colour rod suffices to differentiare between the carcass types. The reason for keeping it all on one rod is simply one of cenvenience. It's probably just a matter of what you get used to

Scrit

All of you that requested a copy of the original text to the article on the use of rods should now have a copy. I've been busy firing emails all over the place, and I may have missed one or two requests.

If you didn't get a copy get back in touch and rectify my error. Slainte.

Sgian Dubh":1lavoheu said:
Those of you that have contacted me ------I should have sent you a copy of the article under discussion.

Latest posts

Back