Connecting basin waste pipe

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hemsby

Established Member
Reaction score
Quick question for our plumbers please.

I would like to fit a small hand basin in a cloakroom but it is not possible to run the waste pipe outside #-o

Is it permitted to connect the waste pipe from the basin trap to the WC flush pipe using a swept “T”

Unfortunately it is not possible to connect to the WC soil pipe (hammer) .

Thanks

Lons":2j4ik5u5 said:
Nope, you don't want to do that.

Is it possible for you to change the soil connector from your WC to the soil pipe for type with a boss specifically for that purpose?

Bob

EDIT Like this http://www.screwfix.com/p/mcalpine-wc-c ... 0wod0fUN0g

or this. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/18227971 ... 931&crdt=0

lots around in various sizes, remember you need 32mm boss for the handbasin waste

Thanks for the reply, thought it may be an easy fix so looks like no wash basin

Uunfortunately it is an old fashioned S trap pan and goes into a concrete floor and is all ceramic, so short of renewing the pan I cannot connect into it.

No easy solution unless you can find a way through an outside wall. Doesn't have to go into a soil pipe if your drainage system is combined rather than separate soil and surface water. If combined then it's acceptable to drain into the same points as your gutters. However, whilst not advising you to do so, I've seen many basins and sinks drained into surface water systems without issue over decades of use.
Otherwise I guess you could remove the existing pan and try to cut off a section with a diamond grinding disk and fit using one of the adapters I listed. You could end up breaking the pan of course. personally I'd just replace with a modern one, they aren't that expensive.

I suppose theoretically you could tap into the wc flush pipe if you fancy soapy water in the bog every time you wash your hands and you wouldn't know if it affects the flush until you tried it, you would have to use compression fittings and be careful they will actually fit the pipe as they mostly aren't the same as std waste pipe and can't be a 90 deg Tee as flush water would flow back up the pipe however if the fittings were compatible I guess you could always re-instate it using a straight connector if it didn't work.

Certainly not something I'd advise or do myself however.

Bob

Hemsby":1u2adehj said:
nev":1u2adehj said:
If you can buy these then I don't see why not ;)
http://www.diy.com/rooms/cooke-lewis-du ... 507_BQ.prd

Thats interesting :idea:

Interesting indeed Nev. never knew those existed.

if you washed your mitts without using the bog first, the water would overflow into the pan. My missus wouldn't like that one bit as it would be soapy, scummy water for whoever lifted the lid next. :lol: Wouldn't bother me!

It's cold water only as well though better than nothing.

You could always use Russian ingenuity.

Attachments

• 84750359.jpg
    84750359.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 635
Back