Connecting a MacBook to a TV

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Harbo":192ejms5 said:
Well my new cables and adapters arrived but still no joy! :evil:

I did eventually find a DVI-I to VGA convertor (I already have a mini display to DVI cable - which works) and a Male to Male VGA cable.
Neither the Mac or the two TV's recognise a signal or sync despite playing around with the settings?

So in desperation I dragged out my old Toshiba Laptop and using the VGA connection it worked.
Having tested out the other bits, if it is a cable fault it can only be the latest DVI-I to VGA connector?
I could buy an Apple mini display to VGA connector but they cost £21! and I cannot guarantee that would work?

We did manage to watch one iPlayer recording on the big screen using the HDMI connection but with the sound coming from the MacBook :)

I am beginning to think TV's don't like Macs?

Rod
If you look at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mini_DisplayPort you will notice that the mini displayport is analogue and digital. It makes sence that your DVI adapter is digital Not analogue and that it does not have the analogue signal. The VGA adapter defiantly has an analogue signal, it doesn't (should not) have a digital signal.

Also VGA is analogue by design it may be that some demented manufactures have used it for digital signal but they shouldn't have.

So it is now easy to understand why your setup didn't work and why the Apple mini displayport to VGA adapter will work.

QED happy Macs like TVs and TVs like happy Macs.

After a lot more research, I now find that only the newer MacBook's mini-display outputs support audio (2010 on).
Mine is a Mid 2009 MacBook Pro and does not have that facility!
Even with the newer models there's lots of people having problems on the various Mac Forums and a lot of it seems to be the cables or adapters used - some work, some don't.

Anyway we watched the last bit of our iPlayer recording last night so our immediate need has gone.

Rod

The bit about the Mac being choosey about connectors is correct - I bit the bullet and bought a genuine Apple mini display to VGA connector and it works!!

Can now use the PC connectors on my Pioneer and get both sound and vision (vision VGA, sound mini jack sockets)!

Rod

Back