Connecting 2 or more shop vacs / vacuum cleaners

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peter G Denmark

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi.

I relatively new here, and not english, so excuse any misspelling.

I'm working on an decent dust collection system for my shop, but money is an issue (isn't that always the case :) ).

Some tools, like table saws and planers need a large airflow, and are usually fitted with a 100mm air connector to accommodate this. Other tools, like routers and mitre saws, need more static pressure, and their air connection is often around 35-40mm.

Since i don't have the money for expensive vacuums (used it all on tools), i was wondering if anyone has tried connecting mutliple vacuums to increase airflow. Professional industrial vacuums often utilize 2 or more motors, and my assumption is, that connection 2 vacuums will approximate that.

I can get a Shop vac like vacuum for around 50£ here that delivers:
airflow: 1500 liter/hour
Static pressure (vacuum): 160mbar (1,6 kPa)

I realise that connecting 2 vacuums doesn't increase the static pressure, but maybe it could maintain the pressure better, since i plan on running it through a DIY-cyclone i've built.
I guess the airflow would in theory double, but realistically i'm thing maybe 2300 liters/hour, when connecting 2 vacuums.

That way i would have flexibility, and the best of both worlds?!

At 50£ i can afford 3 vacuums, and since the cheapest (and not very good) shop dust collector costs around 150£ here, my hope is that someone can confirm that my idea could work.

Thanks
Peter G (Danish - but live in Sweden)

Back