Confused by makita router products codes

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

E-wan

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi

I've been looking the

Makita DRT50 LXT
Cordless Router

Feeling a little confused by the different options and variations on the product codes.
Some seem to include various bases along with the router body.

Won't need a battery or charger.

Initially I would just be intending to use it with a roundover bit to roundover both straight and curved edges.

If anyone has the time to shed light on what the different bases are for that would be appreciated.

In time I may also want to cut rebates and mortice type holes.

Thanks

Ewan

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

I dont know why you would want a battery router, unless you work a long long way from a power supply. The very best that offers is a 100 metres of trimming (remember the manufacturer always loads the specs to give the best possible figures). If you start cutting deep shapes youre going to be changing batteries every 50 metres or less.

Ewan the Katsu router regularly comes up in comparison to the Makita at a huge saving in price for all the kit.
There's lots of threads. Heres one: post1240251.html?hilit=katsu%20router#p1240251

I'm not suggesting you don't buy makita or cordless .
(Ok, I will and I am. :D
Is it for sitework? If not why not get a tail on it? No problems having a lead if it's in a shed or workshop.)

but if you haven't seen the Katsu it's well worth having other buying options.

I was using my makita today, its a great little router but if I'd known about the Katsu at the time I'd have bought that instead. If you get the plunge base and all the extras it adds up to a hefty lump of money saved for what by all accounts is no real drop off in performance from what people seem to be saying on various threads. At least, that's the impression I get.
If you're getting very close performance outputs for a huge differential in financial input (about a third? That's from memory mind), for me as a hobby woodworker who is not using it 24-7 it's a no brainer. TBH even if I was I doing it for a living, probably more so, I'd be after buying the Katsu.
Personally I'd keep the extra money and spend it on summat more essential.
Hope it helps,
Regards,
Chris

Was thinking of cordless as initially I will be using it outside where power is more inconvenient. Some of the pieces to round over are around 20 ft long so being able to keep going all the way along one Edge would be easier without a cable attached.

Thanks for the pointer about the cheaper version will have a look at it but may still go for cordless

Ewan

Just trying to help Ewan It's your choice of course. :wink:

you do realise that a 20 foot long plank with 4 edges to round over comes out at 80 ft?
2 of those and you swap batteries.

Buy a mains powered and an extension lead.

I'm also looking at investing in the Makita cordless router. I think the 6Ah batteries last a fair amount of time.

I have plenty of corded routers to use in the workshop.

I have the Makita cordless, came with all the accessories, I use it mostly for taking of edges and setting hinges on doors and frames, certainly a useful machine without the hassle of a lead getting in the way, I don't connect it to my dust extractor by the way, defeats the object, and not had an issue with batteries running out on me, in any case I always have another 3 batteries ready to use.

Only used the plunge base so far as I haven't found a use, yet, for the accessories, which included a tilting base and one that sets the cutter offset to the motor body.

Hi

Thank you for all your replies

I think I'm going to start by trying the Katsu as it seems very cheap and well regarded.

I would like to try and work out what the largest diameter of roundover bit I could use in the trummer base supplied with the Katsu router is.

Am I likely to be limited by the diameter of hole in the plastic base plate or could I just make my own face plate with a wider hole and use a larger router bit?

The largest bits I might think about using so far are

T1338 From Wealden's Large Ovolo range
12.7mm radius 41.4mm wide

T516B From Wealden's Pencil Round range
13mm radius 38.7mm wide

Would using this size of bit be asking to mutch of the Katsu?

Thanks

Ewan

MikeJhn":mblhz5rl said:
Short answer YES.
Ok so whay would be the largest roundover bit it could comfertably handle?

Ewan

You havent quite grasped the basic fact. An edge trimmer is not designed to make large cuts.
Its made as quick pick up tool for contractors to face edges. Youre already planning on using it as a full sized router.
Ether you will break it quickly by overloading it, or (worst case) going to have a nasty accident when it bites in and comes loose from your grip.
Edge trimmer. router. two different tools for two different jobs.
I have 2 edge trimmers, and three routers. Three were second hand at good prices. Its not always about the money.

Thank you

Perhaps I'll just stick with a block plane and sandpaper for larger cut.

So are the larget cutters meant purely for use in a router table or can you use them with a plunge base that has two handles for better grip locked in place at the appropriate depth?

The other thing I was considering a router for was using a small round over a bit for smoothing off the edges of holes cut with a hole saw is this a more appropriate use?

Thanks

Ewan

You can use them in a plunge router taking small cuts at a time to the full size of a 40mm wide bearing guided bit, but its not advisable, having the router in a table is much safer.

Using the Katsu to round over a cut hole with a bearing guided bit is more appropriate for that router, but take it easy on the depth of cut at first.

Mike

You can't call the Katsu a heavy router by any stretch of the imagination, I don't think the OP has much experience in using a Router so needs safe advice as well as informed.

Mike

As Mike said a few posts back, safest is to use a router in a table.

I have a 1/2 inch router in a table that get's used daily. I have four 1/4 inch routers which I use handheld. One daily on a dovetail jig and the rest don't get used often at all.

Looking at the Makita cordless router just as a laminate trimmer. I do have a laminate trimmer but it's stuck in a copy carver thing.

Back