Confession….I have a tool addiction

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hsmith192

Established Member
Reaction score
I’m going to confess something on here. Basically I have an addiction for buying tools on eBay.
I don’t fully know why I’m doing it but I’m finding that I have more satisfaction in owning the tool rather than using it.

I do feel really ashamed and this isn’t a joke, I just want to enjoy woodworking. I feel I’ve done it all wrong.

I think its something a lot of us get in varying degrees. In my early days at woodworking it was not a problem as I had little spare cash so I only bought what was really needed. Then I saw people restoring old planes and saws and I became a sucker for rescuing old tools. Getting a beat up tool back to working order is a good feeling but of course they pile up and at one stage I had 5 #4s. I have been gradually thinning them out but admit I have more saws and planes than I really need. Perhaps a chisel or two over whats essential as well. I do however use them all and nothing is there just to be looked at. I would hate to be known as a collector.
Regards
John

To a degree, we are all like that.
Ive got more kit than i can shake a mini digger at, the only difference is I'm in the trade, so i can 'justify' my tool purchases. I currently have 3 8x4 plant trailers ☹️🤷‍♂️ i only need 1! Ive got more powered saws than i can remember 😆
I need to sort through my kit soon and start selling off bits i dont use, because when i finish my current site, ive got to take it all back to the workshop, and it wont all fit 😬

Give your "slightly less good now you've got something better" tools to a charity such as men's sheds, a repair cafe or Tools for Self Reliance or similar.
Or become a seller as well as a buyer.

Sorry, have to keep this short, I have a few doz lovely chisels too many - time for a clear out.

it's a road I travelled and finally rejected. old tools are simply beautiful though. but I like to make rather than collect. if you go to David Stanley auctions you'll see the end of that road.

I suffer from that habit.
Recently, I had to sell or give up all my tools due to a big move.

I have a philosophy with tools, if it never gets used it's useless and needs to go, if I am using it regularly (regardless of value) it means that it's truly useful.

I’m going to confess something on here. Basically I have an addiction for buying tools on eBay.
I don’t fully know why I’m doing it but I’m finding that I have more satisfaction in owning the tool rather than using it.

I do feel really ashamed and this isn’t a joke, I just want to enjoy woodworking. I feel I’ve done it all wrong.

This means that you are not building enough. If you are engrossed in a build, you are less likely to need the “fix” that comes from another tool.

I’m a sucker for marking tools, and what stopped the acquisition was to build French fitted drawers for the ones I use. There is no point now in purchasing more :(

Regards from Perth

Derek

This means that you are not building enough. If you are engrossed in a build, you are less likely to need the “fix” that comes from another tool.

I’m a sucker for marking tools, and what stopped the acquisition was to build French fitted drawers for the ones I use. There is no point now in purchasing more :(

Regards from Perth

Derek
You could use the existing marking tools to layout some additional drawers 😀

I have a philosophy with tools, if it never gets used it's useless and needs to go, if I am using it regularly (regardless of value) it means that it's truly useful.
That's fine until the day you do need it, then you kick yourself.

I’m going to keep them, use them and if there are ones I’m really not using? Consider selling. Now the weathers improved I am making a lot more. Winter sucks!

Back