Concrete

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave_G

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Any of you folks used concrete as a work surface for a kitchen or table top instead of marble etc...?

I'm really interested in finding out more about using this material, casting, finishing etc...

Can anyone help?

Thanks,

Dave

I've seen it once as a kitchen work surface.

Now maybe it was just done badly, but it looked absolutly terrible, totally unhygenic and very rough surface finish.

It really looked like a very cheap option and in this case failed miserably.

Hi JasonB - that book looks just the job and I have just put that guys name into Google and have found this site:
http://www.concreteexchange.com/gallery_cd.jsp

Hi senior - you are right, I have seen a couple of work surfaces that looked 'nasty' but I have seen a number of examples that were amazing.

I'm just curious as I have a number of design ideas that I want to experiment with over the winter - it keeps me out of trouble! :shock:

Cheers,

Dave

Interesting site dave, I knew there was a bit more to it than shuttering ply and a few bags of balast :lol: Will have a better read later.

I assume the products will be expensive to import into the UK and the hire of plant is obviously out, start saving now as a Flex polisher and pads will set you back a lot of money :cry:

Jason

Read the book thoroughly, many years ago :( I was into sailing boats and shipwrighting for my sins, I got involved into making yacht hulls out of concrete.
There I learnt many new tricks and these I have incorperated into furniture made in concrete. :D
The book is pretty good , has some handy design ideas which I will be using in my house when I get round tuit :) , hmmmm in 3 or 4 years from now I reckon. :oops: :cry:

when using concrete for the worktops REMEMBER to have solid , well made cabinets under as the loading is MUCH more then a normal top even granite is lighter :shock: .

If you get round to doing one, don't forget to post piccies :D

jasonB":275aywjl said:
Interesting site dave, I knew there was a bit more to it than shuttering ply and a few bags of balast :lol: Will have a better read later.

I assume the products will be expensive to import into the UK and the hire of plant is obviously out, start saving now as a Flex polisher and pads will set you back a lot of money :cry:

Jason

Jason, I have an old yet functional flex polisher that has been stood in my workshop for a while and the concrete society (yes there is one!) seems to have a wealth of info.

http://www.concrete.org.uk/

I need to work on my designs a little more and do some more research and if the project comes off I will post pics etc...

Cheers,

Dave

Latest posts

Back