Computer help please

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

caretaker

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi, I have just brought a second hand computer for my wife, it is running windows 7, desktop model.
When I turn on it says the mans name and askes for a pass word, I click on the users name and it starts up (great) as it did not need a pass word.
So no problem but say it did need a pass word later on, only had it 2 hours.
Now I know his wife will not know his pass word and it may be a bit tricky to ask him as he has past away.
Do you think it will never ask me or there is no pass word (i hope).
Any help or advise please.
Reg

If you have accessed the profile then it will never need a password in the future.

If you have just got this computer then either make a new profile for yourself, making sure it is made as an administrator, then delete the original persons profile along with all their data, or better still if a major branded PC with a recovery partition, do a factory restore. More details please, and can talk you through making a profile if you want.

Phil
Microchipz PC repairs

If you didn't need a password to get in I suspect the account was created with the "blank password" option.

Go to the control panel and find the icon that deals with users and create an account for your wife. Get her to log in with that and then remove the old account.

Good luck.

Thanks Phil will leave till to morrow as it is time to take my dog walky's, I have made a differant user so i will see how it go's.
Thanks again Reg

No problem Reg. Just be certain the new profile is administrator. If it is, then OK if it isn't, log back on as original user and change profile type.

Phil

Reg, there maybe a switch on the motherboard that resets the password, I don't have enough knowhow with pc's but that's what I did some years ago, I followed the instructions via the manual. Someone on here may have the answer, I suggest you contact the lady if possible just to check.

Gary

Gary Morris":2ya24voa said:
Reg, there maybe a switch on the motherboard that resets the password, I don't have enough knowhow with pc's but that's what I did some years ago, I followed the instructions via the manual. Someone on here may have the answer, I suggest you contact the lady if possible just to check.

Gary
This method is for removing a BIOS password, not a windows profile password as Reg had.

Phil

Yippee, all now working great, I new I could depend on you lot.
My wife is now buzzy playing, games that is.
Looks like I've got to get my tea.
Thanks again Reg

Back