Compressor Help Please

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paulloseby

Reaction score
I'm after an air compressor that will blow shavings from my woodturned hollow forms, inflate my car tyres from time to time and if things work out, do some airbrushing. I also need one that is reasonably quiet as my 'workshop' is about 3 ft from my neighbours' house. I also don't want to spend a lot as it is just to make life a little easier rather than a necessity.

My last one was a 1/4 hp motor with no tank and was useless.

There seems to be so many available of different sizes, tank size, engine size, prices etc. Can anyone tell me what I should be looking for or point me in the right direction where I can find out please?

Many thanks

Paul

Hi Paul and welcome!

I'd suggest looking for a small oil-less portable unit, 3 to 5 cfm with a small receiver (tank) - even B&Q do these. The oil-less compressors don't require the oil to be topped up and replaced periodically and won't leak oil everywhere if they fall over whilst you are carting them round in the car, etc. A conventional unit like this with a reciprocating motor will run out at less than £100, however if you really need a quiet compressor you'll need to look for a diaphragm type compressor (often supplied with a Bambi brand pump) such as this. As you can see they are a lot more expensive, but are quiet enough to be installed in banks, retail premises, etc.

Having got your compressor get a straight hose to replace the 'orrid 'orrible "curly whirly" hose supplied with so many small compressors then buy a small air blow gun, like this. I've used Machine Mart as they carry a good selection of compressed air tools and accessories at reasonable prices and will answer technical questions for you if asked.

BTW Avoid blowing air into your skin or face as this can cause an embalism.

Scrit

Hi Paul

In addition to what Scrit has very correctly advised you, be aware that compressed air carries water vapour, normally lots of it at this time of year. Not good for paint finishing. Driers/filters are available for reasonable money.

Cheers - and welcome.

Les

Hi Paul

Just to add to that B&Q are doing one on its own for about £60 at the moment
as well :)

paulloseby":1ewqmykt said:
I'm after an air compressor that will blow shavings from my woodturned hollow forms, inflate my car tyres from time to time and if things work out, do some airbrushing.
Hi Paul

If air brushing and blowing out are all you are planning I'm sure there's a small compressor designed for use with air brushing -sorry I can't be more specific but I think I saw it in the Axminster catalogue.

The problem when you get a compressor is that you find more tools you want to use with it and then find it's not capable of running them. I was advised to get the largest beast I could afford. Be wary of the quoted cfm rating given by suppliers. Make sure you get the actual available cfm figure and not the theoretical one. As a rule of thumb each HP of motor gives 3 cfm.

Many thanks to all for your help. I see Mark Hancock has helped too - I didn't think of this until I watched his excellent demonstration at the Tudor Rose Woodturners in Daventry about 10 days ago. I learn't an awful lot from him and clearing my shavings using the compressor was just one of them. Sadly I don't know of any dentists getting rid of their Bambis like he did.

Thank you Mark and if anyone wants an excellent demonstrator and turner to come to their club, he is brilliant (despite not liking my idea about using an Arbortech for carving - joke)

Kindest regards

Paul

Latest posts

Back