Competition Forum members judging - Improver Category

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Please vote for the winner in the improver category

• OPJ - TV stand

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • SlimJim81 - Hi Fi Unit and CD rack

• Pekka Huhta - bathroom

• Paul Chapman - round table

• syntec4 - guitar cabinet

• Good Surname or What? - Computer Desk

• Stevie B - Machinist's Chest

• Diderot - Tallboy

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris Knight

Established Member
Reaction score
Please cast your vote for the piece that appeals to you the most. You are invited to comment if you wish. Your judgment is a matter of personal taste, the critical eye of the judges will be aimed at the technicalities of the entries although you are also free to consider these if you wish.

Here are the entries, so you don't have to go searching for them.

OPJ - TV stand

SlimJim81 - Hi Fi Unit and CD rack

Pekka Huhta - bathroom

Paul Chapman - round table

syntec4 - guitar cabinet

Good Surname or What? - Computer Desk

Stevie B - Machinist's Chest

Diderot - Tallboy

Thanks to Slimjim81 for this list of links. :D

For me this came down to a choice between Stevie B's machinist's chest and Diderot's tallboy. In the end I decided that Stevie B's chest had a fundamental flaw and that is doors as well as drawers. In a workshop there is never enough room and having to open two doors in order to open the drawers would, for me, become a real nuisance. I would have preferred it if a cleverly designed locking mechanism for the drawers had been included instead of the doors.

My vote therefore goes to Diderot's tallboy. If he is able successfully to do all those exposed joints, it could look stunning.

Cheers :wink:

Paul

I quite like the doors on Stevie B s Chest but I agree with Paul C that they might turn into a nuisance in time. My suggestion would be to mount them in such a way that they can be folded back flush with the sides while the chest sits in the workshop and closed for travel or security as required.
Cheers Mike

Nice designs, I've voted, good luck to everyone, there are some great features in all of the projects.

Impressed, wish i was half as good at drawing have voted

First opportunity I've had to go on line for over a week.

Wow! Standards are excellent. Votes cast in all categories

Keep up the good work.

Andy
(not quite lost in France)

Some excellent ideas and designs in there, well done to all :D

My personal favourite (and vote) was the Hi-Fi stand. IMO it looks magnificent with the dovetail and drawer designs being particularly good.

I also like the fact that it is designed for a specific use and looks great built around the Hi-Fi.

Cheers

Mark

Stevie B got my vote here. Have to say I found a lot of the exposed joinery in several other designs rather overwhelming.

some very interesting pieces here,
vote cast for what appeals to me !!

I wonder whether the desire to show off joinery skills has led some of these designs? Pekka's bathroom may well have got my vote if more detail on the cabinetry had been given. Overall, the tallboy I find most appealing so Diderot gets my vote.

Dave

I like it seems quite a few others love SlimJim81's hifi unit.

Will there be an overal "best in show"....it'd get my vote

I really like slimjim81's idea of allowing the CDs to be 'flicked through' by tilting them forwards and back, whereas most people, myself included, would probably just stick with ordinary square grooves and a tight fit. All those dovetails should add to what is already a very interesting piece. Quite simple in structure but it's gonna take a fair amount of work.

Another category and another computer desk that catches my eye! And this one's also designed to fit in a spare room. I like the idea of coopering the sides - best of luck with that, Phil. I can see how it would easily accommodate a laptop but I'm a little concerned as to where the keyboard and mouse would go with the monitor, computer and maybe a printer or something else? Then again, seeing it on a PC screen is one thing - perhaps it'll be a lot bigger in full size.

Another project to add to the list! I manage to 'get by' with my clustered (to say the least!) filing cabinet system as it's very secure should someone decide to force an entry in to our garage. But I have some unused wall space which would be perfect and would be I'd no longer have to empty have the drawer, including my hammers, hacksaw, chisel roll, spokeshaves, planes and all the rest, just to find that sliding bevel hidden somewhere deep below.
I also like the idea of concealing the drawers behind two doors but share the same concerns as others in a situation where space is already limited.

I find it even tougher to decide in this category than the last, but hey, at least I know I can't vote on my own entry - that's one down then... :D

Olly,

Thanks for the comments on the PC desk for a small room. I don't own a printer and don't even use a mouse or keyboard today - come to that I don't even have a separate screen today!

I haven't prgressed much with the design since the intermediate submission - but could have the option of storing a mouse + keyboard on a shelf above the monitor when not in use. Or find some way to fix to the fold down flap.

Be assured that UKW readers will see the final design long before I file a patent :lol:

Difficult to make my mind up, suspect that preferences based on concept may be thrown completely awry when it gets to viewing the finished article.

The 'toolmakers' chest is dear to my heart, the high-fi unit is clean, functional and practical but maybe short lived; the tallboy stands out as being a potential long lived classic.

Oh heck just vote and see if your point of view is anywhere near others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back