Competition Forum members judging - Beginner Category

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Please vote for the winner in the Beginner Category

• Darren W - Oak Console table

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Paul J - Garden Bench

• Gary S - CD rack

• Robert MP - Sideboard

• Mrs Sliver - Turned Incense Burner

• mr - Bedside Cabinet

• Stix - Computer Desk

• j - Money Box

• seanybaby - Coffee Table

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris Knight

Established Member
Reaction score
Please cast your vote for the piece that appeals to you the most. You are invited to comment if you wish. Your judgment is a matter of personal taste, the critical eye of the judges will be aimed at the technicalities of the entries although you are also free to consider these if you wish.

Here are the entries, so you don't have to go searching for them.

Darren W - Oak Console table

Paul J - Garden Bench

Gary S - CD rack

Robert MP - Sideboard

Mrs Sliver - Turned Incense Burner

mr - Bedside Cabinet

Stix - Computer Desk

j - Money Box

seanybaby - Coffee Table (This is the only thread I could find for Seanybaby.)

Thanks to Slimjim81 for this list of links :D

Difficult to judge by some of the drawings so I feel that the final judgement will be on the finished articles, nevertheless I have voted.

Dom

DomValente":105kd662 said:
Difficult to judge by some of the drawings so I feel that the final judgement will be on the finished articles, nevertheless I have voted.

Dom
I don't see how that can be the case as there's no requirement to actually make the items shown in the designs.
Cheers Mike

That being the case Mike, I have judged according to the quality of the drawing and not what might be, a problem I have with many clients who tell me," I know what I want, the picture is in my head".

Dom

Dom That picture being in the head is exactly the problem I have. The picture is in my head and I can never get it out on paper, as for stuff like sketchup - well let's not even go there. For that reason I know my design entry is doomed to failure :) but anything that makes me try to draw the idea is a good thing.
Cheers Mike

My vote goes to j's money box. I feel that this is a real fun piece. With the windows enabling one to see the money falling down and the amount saved building up, I think a child will really enjoy using it :D

Cheers :wink:

Paul

Voted! I have to say a lot of these pieces look very ambitious for the beginner's category. I was particularly intrigued by Gary's CD rack, which looks highly original - but a bit difficult to visualise on the basis of the Excel spreadsheet!

Hard to choose between the rest, which look to be of a very high standard. In the end I opted for Darren's console table - the clean lines and proportions are very appealing to me.

I like the look of Stix's Computer desk.
It seems very well thought out, has some practical cable management, and will hide away all those computery bits and bobs. Its something I may consider as a future project. But first I'll see what it turns out like.

J

vote cast,
have to agree with PeteW, very adventurous for a beginners category !!
thank goodness i didn't enter !!

stix gets my vote if i can't vote for myself :lol:

I'm considering something like that next year, but with a filing cabinet draw as well.

I like in incense burner very much as well.

I think this section is perhaps the hardest because the ability to convey the design is sometimes limited. I also am intrigued by Gary's cd rack and I might really like it a lot, but unfortunately the submission does make it hard to judge.

I also like the money box - I wonder if it will be a little unstable until there are some coins in.

The clean lines of Darren's table and Robert's sideboard appeal.

Stix's computer desk seems very practical and has some good touches like the cable management.

Paul's garden bench is an interesting variation on a traditional piece.

I agree that all the designs are ambitious and it's a hard choice. I would be happy to own any of these pieces, I'm sure.

But my vote goes to Mike - although the sketches are not great, I think I understand the design. There appears to be strong Krenovian influences but with a difference and I think if Mike manages to pull it off it will be a great piece.

Dave

Ahhhhahhh??

Well i thought all along to vote i had to post a message?

MMM...the first time i actually got a real poll!

Whats going on? Is it my browser, java? ? ?

I dont get it? Any other forum i visit i am able to vote into a graphical poll, bfore getting the results. Here it seems i get the poll results before i vote and randomly i get to vote?

Ahhh well?

Cheers
Sean

My vote goes to seanybaby and the coffee table. It certainly looks ambitious but if it comes off it would look wonderful. I like the idea of making the joints, dovetails and tenons, part of the design.

Lots of great designs here.

Bob

I think these designs should have gone to the owner of the site who then published them anonymously.

Sorry :?

I'm also impressed with the ambition on display for the Beginner's section - Gary S's CD storage rack in particular.

Then there's j's money box. When I was a little younger, I remember having a little plastic house with a bank's name on it and a big round smiley face to keep all my spare coins in - how I wish I'd had something like this! I still seem to accumulate an endless supply or 2p coins today, so perhaps a project similar to this could lie in my future ahead...

I really like how Stix plans to store everything neatly and conveniently out of sight (even the keyboard and mouse!) with his computer desk. I know what it's like having no space to even read a magazine or jot down a few notes on an over-crowded desk myself. Another one to add to my list, perhaps...

As for my vote in this section, well... I still haven't quite decided! :wink:

Crikey, one or two quite demanding projects in this list, and one or two ringers if you ask me. :wink:

I have decided to vote for the best drawing, explanation and design. I have not attributed any weight to whether I like the item or not.

I have decided to vote for Darren his drawing included measurements and graphics, it looks well designed and balanced.

I think Stix may well go on to win the build if he can pull it off.

My entry into the build part is doomed I think :oops:

Good luck to all contestants. Esc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back