Competition Forum members judging - Advanced Category

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Please vote for the winner in the advanced category

• Woodbloke - casket

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Gill and Keith Smith - Headboard

• Tim - library cabinet

• Gill and Keith Smith Meter Cupboard

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris Knight

Established Member
Reaction score
Please cast your vote for the piece that appeals to you the most. You are invited to comment if you wish. Your judgment is a matter of personal taste, the critical eye of the judges will be aimed at the technicalities of the entries although you are also free to consider these if you wish.

Here are the entries, so you don't have to go searching for them.

Woodbloke - casket

Gill and Keith Smith - Headboard

Tim - library cabinet

Gill and Keith Smith Meter Cupboard

Thanks to Slimjim81 for this list of links :D

When you come to vote on the pieces, it's really difficult, but here goes.

The two that appeal to me least are Gill and Keith's headboard and meter cupboard. The headboard is lovely as a picture and the dancing figures are exquisite. It may well look equally lovely in the room where it will be going but for me it is too fussy as a headboard.

The meter cupboard is such a powerful design that I think I would tire of it quickly but, again, it might be ideal for its setting.

The other two entries, Tim's bookcase and Rob's casket, are stunning. I am really torn between these two. In their setting, Tim's bookcases are as near perfect as one could wish. Everything about them - the style, the colour, their fitness for purpose - are superb.

Rob's casket is an example of classic cabinet making. The secret dovetails, the subtle shaping, the choice of woods. As Rob said when replying to one of the earlier comments, its about pushing the boundaries and I think this piece does.

For me it's Rob's casket (with Tim's bookcase a very, very close second).

Cheers :wink:

Paul

Hello,

I too was stuck between Woodbloke and Tims entries. Not an easy one to call really. In the end it came down to which one I would like to own, and Woodblokes Casket got the vote.

Cheers

Darren

Like Paul I was of two minds, commenting critically and then dismissing all but one is an onerous task, but here goes.

Again I agree with Paul, Gill and Keith's pieces whilst being highly skilful and artistic certainly have the wow factor, but to live with them would be another matter.

Tim as usual will produce another stunning piece and unfortunately loses my vote because only today I was bemoaning the fact that another three bookcases had to be made and(sorry Tim) I'm sick of the sight of them.

Which leaves Rob. Great skills certainly, but for pure aesthetics he gets my vote.

Dom

Woodbloke's casket for me. The craftsmanship of all four is impressive but I tend to prefer the simple and understated.

Here are the votes of the Beech household.

For me the best design is Tim's Library cabinet. The rational is that it is a lot of accurate work, technically not too difficult except for the size but seemingly designed to fit into a room's particular vibe.

Woodbloke - casket
Excellent smaller box but not something which I am excited by. This would be my second choice as I always fall for outstanding grain in wood. Technically quite difficult to adjust those joints to a perfect fit but not at all exciting to me.

Gill and Keith Smith - Headboard
Too strong a design and lacking in subtlety. The best bit would be the central piece design od dancers the rest is too bold and too dominant for my taste.

Gill and Keith Smith Meter Cupboard
The idea is quite stunning...a wooden/acrylic/multicoloured juke box...but at this stage it looks a little strong and will certainly shout its presence. Trying to think about the place where it would be installed I am concerned that it will be too outlandish.

In all these judgement I am struck by how difficult it is to judge without seeing the finished piece. All of the above comments could be reversed if the final making delivers something outstanding.
regards
Alan

Gill and Keith Smith Meter Cupboard gets my vote. I would like to see an mp3 player with screen in there as well :lol:

I will be voting for the meter cupboard as the strong design is something that is very difficult to pull off. I am interested to see how it will come out.
Owen

Very difficult to choose as they are all so different. In the end I've gone for the library cabinet as it looks so well proportioned and manages to hid the radiator in a discreet way.

Steve

Such is the high standard here that I feel a little uncomfortable voting at all. Finding it hard to be objective, in the end it comes down to which piece I would most like to own (or to make, if my skills were anywhere near advanced enough).
I love boxes anyway, but since I have a strong preference for clean, unfussy design, Rob's casket gets my vote.

Dave

I'm looking forward to seeing how Gill and Keith's idea for a jukebox-themed electricity meter cabinet turns out with all the bright colours and hopefully the use of colour acrylic. What a great idea to hide something so unsightly in a modern, or even 50's-style, home.

Tim's was the other effort which really stood out for me from the other three, although there's nothing at all wrong with the other two, it's just my personal tastes.

But having browsed though the entries in the two previous categories, I'm quite surprised to see only four entires in the Advanced section. And only one item solely of woodturning?

My vote is cast on what is the most technically demanding.

I agree with Paul.

The other two entries, Tim's bookcase and Rob's casket, are stunning. I am really torn between these two. In their setting, Tim's bookcases are as near perfect as one could wish. Everything about them - the style, the colour, their fitness for purpose - are superb.

Rob's casket is an example of classic cabinet making. The secret dovetails, the subtle shaping, the choice of woods. As Rob said when replying to one of the earlier comments, its about pushing the boundaries and I think this piece does.

For me it's Rob's casket (with Tim's bookcase a very, very close second).

Not completly sure about the purpose of secret dovetails, but my golly they look very difficult to cut. :?

Rob gets my vote.

Good luck to all contestants. Esc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back