Competition Entry - Toybox WIP - IT'S FINISHED!!!!!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ironballs":30tfjocz said:
Good looking piece Aiden and your veneering has come out very well, nice job. Two comments/queries from me, the knob doesn't look quite right to me, it needs something bigger (handle rather than knob) which then leads to a query about how it works and its placement. What runners do you have in there and have you tried it fully loaded up? If it's a wood on wood runner with a small handle at the top it may jam or stick, might work better with a bigger handle in the middle

Good job though

Cheers Damian

No, the knob was a bit of a design feature.

The runners are Blum, self-closing, full extension; the intention being to have a push-to-open latch, however having never having used these runners before they don't work that way! So some means of opening was required. I looked at a curved steel handle but that was too ovious, a small undercut handle from steel or beech still didn't seem towork either. A hidden finger grip under the front works well when the piece is on the bench but not when it's on the floor, so I turned up a knob to see what it would look like and it seemed the best option, I would still preffer none at all.

Loaded up it's fine but if you filled it with books then it'll tip the piece forward when fully open, that bit's a bit hard to avoid without some ghastly wheel under the front.

Aidan

That is a great job. I like quilted maple, particularly with ABW as it happens but would not have thought of pairing it with beech.

PS shouldn't it be inception not conception or am I missing the point? How old is she? :D

Back