Companion/ Hobbies treadle lathe / WANTED fret saw....

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So, Andy, did you notice my stupid mistake? :oops:
I was very pleased with the way I managed to build the lathe into my bench, until I realised that the fretsaw, when attached, hangs out behind the lathe, so I have to either cut a hole in the side of the boat, or modify the bench top so that I can slide the front portion out to release the lathe, I think I'll choose the latter! :roll:
We were given two felled beech trees, I've started chainsawing them up mostly to split as firewood, but some of it I'll use to make a new tiller for the butty's elum (rudder) and some mallets I'll also keep a bit back to play with on the lathe once I get it set up correctly (just used it as a grindstone so far)
I'm on the lookout for trad tools like adzes, pullknives etc., though I have to admit that most of the restoration work is being done using power tools while we are in the marina.

Hi and welcome to the forum Chop 8)
It looks like you have picked up one of the models with taller legs, longer bed and made of an alloy instead of cast iron.
Nice to hear you have the saw with it, any chance of a pic?
Would be interested to know if your top and bottom pulley's line up properly and if the belt rubs on the bed when used on the smaller diameter drive? Mine does :twisted:
Here's mine ......

Cheers
Andy[/quo

Hi Andy

Thanks for the welcome.
We are going to the boats this evening so, hopefully, I'll get a chance to check the belt, pulleys and get you a few pics of the fretsaw attachment.
I love that huge crosscut type saw in your pic LOL!
If you come across any old adzes, froes, draw-knives etc please let me know.

IMG_20130406_191506.jpg

The fretsaw attachment is tucked behind the lathe but, partially obscured by our butty's old tiller

http://narrowboats-freyja-and-chris...013/04/my-workshop-now-has-treadle-lathe.html

It came with the stool, which I've altered, so that the legs slot over the treadle, and shaved an inch or so off the back of it, so that it doesn't take up as much space (space is at a premium, even when you have two boats!)

Can I just say (a) no I didn't spot your mistake and (b) how very sensible it is of you to reserve space in your boat for a dedicated workshop!

Chop":9iru2imq said:
Hi Andy
Thanks for the welcome.
We are going to the boats this evening so, hopefully, I'll get a chance to check the belt, pulleys and get you a few pics of the fretsaw attachment.
I love that huge crosscut type saw in your pic LOL!
If you come across any old adzes, froes, draw-knives etc please let me know.

Thanks, the saw was for advertising purposes in hardware merchants 8)
We were exhibiting at a country show and there was a lot of boaters who stopped and had a chat.
The lathe gets a huge response from the public :lol:

Not sure where you are at the moment but if you are ever up the ASHBY CANAL Bridge 19,20 or 21 area let me know :wink:
Andy

Hey Andy

We are moored between Wellingborough and Kettering on the river Nen(e) so it will be a while before we'll have fixed up our boats sufficiently to be able to get them as far as the Ashby canal.

Here are some pics and a short video of the fretsaw set-up, I'll add some pics of the circular saw attachment and it's table attachment when I get a chance.

IMG_20130428_141734.jpg

http://narrowboats-freyja-and-chris...4/ive-had-to-change-my-workshoplathe-set.html

Hope this helps :eek:ccasion5:

Fascinating!

My guess is that the circular table will have a provision for tilting it and that those two conical pointed screws will be the way to set it level or at a chosen angle, but I could be entirely wrong!

There can't be many of these in use, and I'd bet money that you have the only floating one.

Chop":1zxgub5n said:
Hey Andy

We are moored between Wellingborough and Kettering on the river Nen(e) so it will be a while before we'll have fixed up our boats sufficiently to be able to get them as far as the Ashby canal.
Hope this helps :eek:ccasion5:

Great 8) Will sort a picture of my fret table so you can see whats what :wink:
Nice to see you have the original lathe rest :D

Andy

AndyT":1vb92ahh said:
Fascinating!

My guess is that the circular table will have a provision for tilting it and that those two conical pointed screws will be the way to set it level or at a chosen angle, but I could be entirely wrong!

There can't be many of these in use, and I'd bet money that you have the only floating one.

Thanks Andy

Things were a bit rushed the last time at the boats so I didn't get a chance to attach the table or try the rotary saw (complete with slotted table)

I've bought some fretsaw blades now so will try it out 'in anger' next time

I had a rat-tail file type blade that I used with my old treadle fretsaw to fret out very ornate and delicate patterns on the the chaincase of my BSA 750 chopper (it's belt drive now so doesn't have to be oil-tight) not sure where I bought it, would love another.
I'll be selling the old treadle fretsaw now (pressed steel type)

I have a hobbies treadle fretsaw should anyone be looking I bought on a whim but really don't have the space for it. I think it is an A1

Latest posts

Back