Companion/ Hobbies treadle lathe / WANTED fret saw....

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toolsntat

Yep, I collect tools and tat
Reaction score
Anyone out there got one of these

http://www.lathes.co.uk/goodell-pratt/page3.html

companionlathe.jpg

Would certainly be interested in obtaining the fretsaw/circular saw attachment if anyone has one or any info on where to get one :wink: :wink:

Thanks
Andy

You often see the treadle scroll saw's for sale on eBay, they don't go cheap though. I didn't know that you could get attachments for the lathes never seen those

pete

Bodrighy":2f1971q7 said:
You often see the treadle scroll saw's for sale on eBay, they don't go cheap though. I didn't know that you could get attachments for the lathes never seen those

pete

Got the Hobbies Gem fretsaw already but just acquired this lathe and was amazed to find the fretsaw was an option :shock:

All being well we will put it on display this year and would look great as a complete unit 8) 8)

Andy

I look forward to it, I find these old lathes and scroll saws fascinating. Ideal for demos as well I'd have thought

Pete

Well , thanks to UK workshop the hand cranked fret saw made its first appearance over the weekend along with some other tools n tat .......

Cheers Dick 8) 8)

Andy

june110005.jpg

june110006.jpg

june110008.jpg

june110009.jpg

june110010.jpg

The saw and lathe look really great. I love those old tools. Seems you have quite a collection in all. Do you use the treadle tools?

Pete

Bodrighy":bkuinzxs said:
The saw and lathe look really great. I love those old tools. Seems you have quite a collection in all. Do you use the treadle tools?

Pete

Yes Pete, had a bit of softwood in the lathe and did a couple of little "Christmas tree in pot" turnings but the fret saw needs a bit more finer fettling....

Most people thought the lathe was made from an old singer sewing machine :roll: :roll:

Andy

Great set up there Andy, those pictures must have been taken on the Sunday I guess. I did walk around some of the field but must have missed your bit which is a pity I would have liked to see you, I was in the stables. Did have a good look at the outdoor workshop though.

john

jpt":1csolxnz said:
Great set up there Andy, those pictures must have been taken on the Sunday I guess. I did walk around some of the field but must have missed your bit which is a pity I would have liked to see you, I was in the stables. Did have a good look at the outdoor workshop though.

john

Hi John, thank you, it would have been nice to meet you. Hope you had a good weekend in all even though Saturday was dire :evil:

The pic was taken Monday afternoon when we had a moderate spell of sunshine 8) and we were sited past the beer tent facing the funfair...

Love this show as the public have a real interest in all sorts of things and have had some great conversations with young and old alike. Mind you it does mean I don't get to see much of the show :roll:

Next year maybe??

Andy

toolsntat":2jlxyign said:

Would certainly be interested in obtaining the fretsaw/circular saw attachment if anyone has one or any info on where to get one :wink: :wink:

Thanks
Andy

I know the post is quite old but I've only just seen it. I've got the same hobbies lathe complete with fretsaw. I'd like to free up up some space and get rid of the whole thing. No reasonable offer refused.

If anyone's interested can supply photos of it unbuilt

Pete

parishpete":2ghrkxoj said:
toolsntat":2ghrkxoj said:

Thanks
Andy

I know the post is quite old but I've only just seen it. I've got the same hobbies lathe complete with fretsaw. I'd like to free up up some space and get rid of the whole thing. No reasonable offer refused.

If anyone's interested can supply photos of it unbuilt

Pete

Cheers Pete, would love to do a deal with you as I have friends in Norfolk who could pick up for me 8)
Will send you a message :D

Thanks
Andy

I have just bought a Hobbies combined lathe and fretsaw, which likes very similar, if not identical to this image. It includes the main support for the fretsaw, but the actual fretsaw mechanism is missing. I am also missing the original connector from the treadle to the large wheel. As well as this the tool rest does not look correct. Does anyone know where I can get these parts and / or handbooks etc?

Foolowing my last post, If Toolsntat is reading this, by the looks of it, if you have got the Hobbeys treadle lathe, could I asl a favour? My machine does not have the bar that connects the treadle plate to the large wheel, and I have not been able to get any details to copy. Is there any chance you could forward be the dimensions / details of your bar so that I can try to reproduce it

My apologies , I missed that first posting and have just seen the second one :oops:

By all means any info you require I will gladly let you know 8)

As it happens the first one I got (top picture) may be a very early American model, but the one I recently had off Pete is 100% Hobbies, being bought from them when he was a lad.
There is a whopping difference in size and quality :shock:
Hobbies eventually made it bigger with most of it being an aluminium construction but none the less still turns ok :wink:

Will PM you my contact numbers...... (do pm's work for new uns?)

Cheers
Andy

Thanks for the offer. If PM doesn't work then please post a reply. I have tried to include my e-mail address for you to use, but the forum's system wont let me include it ! :cry: Any info would be gratefully received as this is a new venture for me. John

Following my earlier post, I have what I believe to be a Hobbies Companion lathe that came with the metal part of the fretsaw, with a Hobbies treadle plate. This is approx 61cm wide on the bed and 71 cm tall. I have recently bought what I thought was a complete version of the Companion,(inc fretsaw) but when I got it home, was noticeably bigger, being approx 76cm across the bed and 87cm tall. This too has a Hobbles treadle plate and appears to be a cast metal. Are these both 'proper' Hobbies lathes, and if saw, when did the size change?

I have recently bought a Hobbies lathe with fretsaw, grindstone and cut-off saw attachments. I've installed it in the workshop on our narrowboat butty
I'm trying to post some pics and a link to our narrowboat blog

Chop":16p63u59 said:
I have recently bought a Hobbies lathe with jigsaw, grindstone and cut-off saw attachments. I've installed it in the workshop on our narrowboat butty

Ooh, that sounds interesting. As a new member of the forum, you can't post links to externally hosted pictures or other links - you need to make three posts first. (This is to guard against automated spam bots posting links to dodgy websites.)

So stick around and tell us a bit more about yourself - this forum is a very friendly place.

Did you choose treadle power as a sensible option when off-grid, or is it just because you like the charm of old machines?

AndyT":cu2q6ewm said:
Chop":cu2q6ewm said:
I have recently bought a Hobbies lathe with jigsaw, grindstone and cut-off saw attachments. I've installed it in the workshop on our narrowboat butty

Ooh, that sounds interesting. As a new member of the forum, you can't post links to externally hosted pictures or other links - you need to make three posts first. (This is to guard against automated spam bots posting links to dodgy websites.)

So stick around and tell us a bit more about yourself - this forum is a very friendly place.

Did you choose treadle power as a sensible option when off-grid, or is it just because you like the charm of old machines?
I already owned a treadle fretsaw and after many failed attempts bought a Singer 29k 15 heavy duty cobbler's treadle so that I could do leather and canvas work on our narrowboats.
I decided that I'd like to add a wood lathe attachment if possible and mentioned it on the canal forum, one of the members gave me a link to the Hobbies on e-bay
If you google Narrowboats Freyja and Christina, you should be able to find our blog which has pics of my workshop set-up.
The intention is to be able to make and do a range of crafts and services without needing to use any of our boats' battery power once we move onto our boats and start cruising the canal system.
I think I'll paint the lathe to match the Singer, i.e. black with the Hobbies name picked out in gold.

That does look fun! And it's nice to see one which will be earning its keep - I guess a nice old boat like that will be an inexhaustible source of jobs.

Back