COMP063 WIP Photos: Cutlery Canteen - Finished

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AndyG

Established Member
Reaction score
Hurrah, all done!! Thought I'd leave it to the last minute. It was planned that way, no really, honest ;)

These are the pictures of the final cutlery canteen. The full story, with all the extra photos, can be found here.

finished.jpg

finishedLidOpen.jpg

finishedDrawer.jpg

finishedSide.jpg

finishedHinge.jpg

I've really enjoyed this project. It's taken a long time, but I've learnt a great deal on the way. The project has been full of firsts. For starters, I'd been looking for an excuse to do some real panelling for ages and the canteen gave me a chance to give it a go. Really pleased with how it worked out. Certainly a technique I'll use again.

Another first, I'd not used Cherry before either. It's an amazing timber to work, and would really recommend it to anyone. The only possible problem is the little pockets of black resin you can get. These can be a pain if they appear right on a joint.

The requirement for a curve threw up some real headaches. When I've got more time I think I'll give real coopering a go, but I'm happy with the staircase solution. It's certainly easier working with the pieces all in the same plane.

I'm ashamed to say this project required the first dovetails I've cut since I was at school. They were certainly a test of my rather dodgy sawing, but they came out OK in the end. Think it's time for a proper dovetail saw though :)

Thanks all for reading. Good luck to all those who have also entered the competition.

Andy

P.S. In case you missed the link, this is the thread containing all the WIP details and pictures.

Let me be the first to say how beautifull that piece is.

It will be subject of many talks during your dinner parties

nice workmanship

McLuma

Beautiful, Andy.
Well done for finishing in time!
Cheers
Stewart

Back