Combination or separates

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have all separates in my workshop and all on mobile bases. I love the flexibility it gives me.

I have had a range of Felder and Hammer machines for the past 15 years, never had a full combination machine. I think a large combination machine in the middle of a workshop may take up more room than separates around the walls, also dust extraction from a combo can be tricky. For me the planer thicknesser is a no brainer for a one man or small workshop or even in our school. I did have seperate table saw and spindle moulder, I now have the combined saw spindle, I do prefer the separate machines but cost and space saving makes the combination a good choice. The saw spindle is great for occasional spindle moulder work but I am not a great fan of the short out feed table of the spindle and I am not keen on the hinge down powerfeed.

I have the C3-41 and it works for me. Did a ton of research before choosing a combination machine. I think workshop is around 8mx7m

- I have a square workshop rather than long so a combi suits that better.
- just me in the workshop so no issue with using machine at same time
- batch work so changing over isn’t as continual as one off pieces.
- I have other machinery/workbenches along the walls so it literally sits like a centre piece in the middle. As you say combis are best suited in the middle of a space and not moved.

my workshops not huge so I went for a compromise rather than a full combi or all separates, I went for a planer/thicknesser & a saw/spindle moulder both machines are on mobile bases so I can move them to the wall when not in use to free up space, I’ve been very happy with how they’ve worked out.
Hi, I don't suppose you'd mind telling me what 2 machines you used to reach this Nirvana. Your situation sounds the same as mine.

I went for a Hammer A3-41 planer thicknesser & a Hammer B3 basic saw/spindle
Hi Doug,

They look quite large. when you say you wheel them out when needed, does that mean they are fitted with casters?

Pricing seems hidden unless I sign up to Hammer's site. Do you mind me asking how much these 2 units were?

Cheers

Hi Doug,

They look quite large. when you say you wheel them out when needed, does that mean they are fitted with casters?

Pricing seems hidden unless I sign up to Hammer's site. Do you mind me asking how much these 2 units were?

Cheers
I made mobile bases for both of mine though both can be ordered with the option of a mobile base I prefer to make my own as the factory fitted ones don’t have multi directional casters.

As for prices both machines are quite a few years old now I think I bought the saw/spindle in 2013 so I can’t remember the prices without digging out the paper work & even if I did the prices would bear no resemblance to today’s prices.
I believe if you sign up the prices are on the site though they do have a tendency to phone you to follow up your enquiry.

Latest posts

Back