Colwyn joins the spinny club.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CHJ

Established Member
Reaction score
__________The results of "Grandad can I have a go"

Grandads only input was to prepare the blank and show him how to hold the tools after a lecture about:
1. keeping the tools on the rest, and what happens if you don't.
2. what the bevel does, and what happens if you don't use it.
3. looking after your hands when sanding/polishing.

_________ ___ _______ click on images for larger view

_________ ___ _______

_________ ___
_________ Spalted Beech 90mm dia.

Tools used:

2 bowl gouges 45deg. & 75 deg. bevels.
1/2" skew to mark centre for spigot.
Spigot marking gauge.
1/2" parting tool for initial spigot shaping.
Grip-a-Disk and hand sanding.
Nyweb to blend sealer build-up ridges.
Finished with woodwax22.

Too much male bonding going on whilst turning, no time to take pictures I'm afraid.

Welcome to the Spinny Club Colwyn :D
Looks a very nicely turned piece you've made.Well done. :D

Looks like theres going to have to be a section on here for juniors.
Juniors forum :lol:
Paul.J.

Chas, now that he's clearly mastered turning (he must have had a superb instructor ;) ) do you think he might let you borrow his tools occasionally?

Lovely job, Colwyn.

Looks good :D - nice to see another youngster get chance to try it out (as schools don't seem to let anyone do anything like that anymore :( )

Well done,hope the interest carries on.

Andrew

Gill":1stcrfpr said:
Chas, now that he's clearly mastered turning (he must have had a superb instructor ;) ) do you think he might let you borrow his tools occasionally?

Lovely job, Colwyn.

Don't know about the 'mastered' or 'superb' bits Gill, But if you insist tomorrow will see if he remembers the basics and see if he is still nervous enough to be safe, thankfully he didn't get any catches to scare himself.
Everyone in the household has been informed that we are turning a bigger one tomorrow :roll: .

Unfortunately the tool front is taken care of, he lives some 800+ miles away in an area that seems woefully short of turners.
Just glad it's not me that's going to get pestered for turning lessons.

Quite humbling to see a 10 year old do better at his first hollowing than I could manage in my first couple of weeks.

_________

CHJ":dyt4lvrw said:
Quite humbling to see a 10 year old do better at his first hollowing than I could manage in my first couple of weeks.

Maybe it's the same as my grandkids on computers, doesn't seem to occur to them that things could go wrong and they seem to work off instinct.

Nice work Colwyn,

Pete

The Second Bowl is finished just in time to return home;

_________ ___ _______ click on images for larger view

My favorite picture is this one where bevel contact is working on cleaning up the inside base.

_________

An edited version of the Saga is HERE

Oh, and this is the one he chose to copy :roll: :shock:

I bet I know what's on his Christmas list now. :lol:

Its a nice bowl and he has a few examples to choose from for the next one when he visits again.

Well done Chas, good to see a young one taking to a craft, my grandchildren are still a bit young but they love to go out to the shop.:D I always have to supply thin offcuts that can be nailed to the saw horse. :roll:

Another excellent piece of turning Colwyn :D
Looking to be a seasoned pro already :roll:
Puts me to shame.
Keep it going.
Just shows it makes all the difference having someone to show you how.
Paul.J.

Hello Colwyn.
I like both of your bowls,how did you enjoy turning for the first time.
I made my first bowl the other day and really enjoyed it,can't wait to have another go,soon i hope.
Amy.J.

Hi Amy, Colwyn just arrived back in Bavaria 10 minutes ago so I expect it will be tomorrow sometime before he knows about your post.

Paul.J":2nko3sno said:
Hello Colwyn.
I like both of your bowls,how did you enjoy turning for the first time.
I made my first bowl the other day and really enjoyed it,can't wait to have another go,soon i hope.
Amy.J.

Is Dad really going to let you on his new toy Amy.....now I am really envious

Pete

Bodrighy wrote
Is Dad really going to let you on his new toy Amy.....now I am really envious
Pete.
I've already been told what shes going to do and how,so i think i'd better let her have a go. :roll:
After all she did help me to set it up.
Paul.J.

Paul, better get some proper supports for that duck-board for her, I was informed that the box I provided was inadequate for a certain person to spread his feet as directed without constantly moving it.

Hi Amy,
In answer to (your) post Colwyn says “Its Fine”.

(it's a Boy thing :roll: mom will explain)

Diane.

Back