colouring epoxy

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnluc

Established Member
Reaction score
hi
i recently bought aluminum,copper&brass powder and speed epoxy, my problem is,when mixed it takes forever to set and awful colour,the aluminum turns battleship grey the brass a dark kaki and the copper a dull browny red, have tried less/more powder with same results am i expecting too much or is this normal. ps re my last post re jet lathe a new spindle & bearings on way.
johnluc

Paul.J":3lb52mwy said:
HelloJohnluc.
Sorry can't help with your colours etc,but good news about the lathe,or is it :?
Paul.J.
hi Paul j
i hope so,very frustrating, new lathe not running true thought is was me until turned a bowl and saw how much it was out of true
johnluc

I do this with bronze powder and brass powder, I put loads (I mean loads - 1:1 by volume of the epoxy) of the powder in and mix the epoxy 1:1 (I used West System) not 2:1 as suggested. I always leave it 3 days to set .

never seen a colour change I must admit - I tend to buy rough powder (if that's how you say big bits) as opposed to fine powder - it just that I like how the rough texture comes out, but I have done it with fine powder too - looks just like brass when finished

Just experiment and see what is best

Hope that helps

I got a load of shavings from a couple of key cutting places and used a magnet to get the ferrous bits out. Leaves you with very small filings that are OK for bigger holes. They look a bit off when it sets but shine up when turned back or sanded down.

I also use ordinairy fibreglass mix from an auto shop. Takes less than 1/2 and hour to set hard enough to turn.

Pete

The mix will look dull until you turn/sand and polish the surface then I should start to shine You do need to have quite a high proportion of powder to resin, bit about it here

Jason

jasonB":yz7gipuv said:
The mix will look dull until you turn/sand and polish the surface then I should start to shine You do need to have quite a high proportion of powder to resin, bit about it here

Jason

'here' being where?

Pete

Back