Wanted - Turning Tools.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

syntec4

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello all,
I have managed to aquire FOC a fairly large Lathe. It came with a faceplate and (dont know what the real name is) pronged drive. The Tailstock is the bearing type. Construction is very solid and it has 5 Speeds via a changeable belt drive. It has a very quiet Induction motor, although I can find anything to indicate what output it has. The distance between the faceplate and the tailstock is about 1100mm at max opening. The centre of the drive spindle is 350mm from the bed. The colour is 'Battleship Grey' which I think is original.

Anyway, I might as well have a go with it as it cost nothing. What basic tools will I need to turn a few basic table legs etc. And where from?

Secondhand? Anyone want to help me out by selling some 'surplus' stock of turning tools?

Thanks in Advance.
Lee.

PS I'll post a picture of the lathe over the weekend when I get down to the Workshop.

Hi Lee,and congratulations on your "acquisition" :D (Free is my favourite price :wink: )

It has been covered before on here,but for starting out you don't need many chisels,but try and get HSS (high speed steel) ones,and a suitable method of sharpening them - good quality tools will make learning much more pleasureable.
I bought these to start with,and have added other chisels individually as i have discovered the need for them.

Andrew

Thanks for that Andrew.

I have a Wet Stone Grinder (Cheap Tormek copy), Is this suitable for the job. I use it for my hand chisels but I finish the process on an oil stone. I'm guessing this is not possible with the shape of turning chisels?

Thanks for the link.
Lee.

Wetstone grinder and oilstone will be fine - I tend to do mine gently on the bench grinder,and have a couple of diamond sharpeners to finish off with (one is half-round,so good for the inside of gouges)
However,I know there are people on here who know a lot more than me about woodturning and sharpening,so we may both still learn something :wink:

Andrew

Have a look at this threadfor some hints and note how few tools I started with.

Just a cheap and cheerful HSS set, (axminster perform but they are sold elsewhere under differing branding) the number has now just about doubled as I found a need for a different size or form. But still nothing exotic.
Hamlet and Crown makes being ones that suit me, and my pocket.

As far a sharpening is concerned a good free cutting white/pink/blue stone will give you all the edge you will need.
I do not see any need to hone the edge, some woods will destroy the edge fairly rapidly and a quick re-touch is more advantage than finite polish.

I struggled at first on sharpening having spent most of my life with professional machine shop wet grinding and not paying attention to how my wood shop did it, like most other 'skills' practise is all it takes.

You may find that the HSS tools will rapidly 'groove' your 'tormek' stone due to their small contact area.

Back