COLOURED HARD HATS

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joethedrummer

Established Member
Reaction score
Good Afternoon Dustmakers,
Just heard of the latest proposal, ( is it April 1st; ), that hard hats will be coloured according to the position or status of the tradesman.
I"m sure that you will be able to suggest some suitable colours to suit some trades or people.
I realise that a lot of you have got much more important things to do but look forward hearing suggestions from all of us.
,,,joe,,,

I saw this "new" thing on the news yesterday.

My company has used that colour code system for 15 years to my knowledge.
Be aware this is just a bunch of contractors getting together and making a site rule, nothing whatsoever to do with any laws.

Hello lurker, what colours were used for what ranks ?. also suddenly remembered that I"m colour blind anyways !!!
,,,joe,,,

Nothing to do with rank only safety ability.

Qualified operatives (most folks) - white
Visitors (regardless of corporate status) -blue
Slingers & riggers -orange
First aid - green

Note the railways never use yellow (nor Yellow hi vis)

Our company ABP has just updated it's hard hats to orange from blue for all ranks. Apparently they have to be changed every four years so we have been told. Even the big boss wears an orange one too. :lol:

Whoever parks and blocks everyone in - they should have a special hat, with a flashing light on it!

Boss's hat - should play the Jaws theme so you know when he's getting close.

Diamond hat - whoever is paying for the next round!

Chem industry morlok; red for anyone in emergency team, yellow anyone else, visitors green. Previous employer [food industry] white for seat polishers, blue IIRC for the hoi polloi.

It varies a little from site to site. The last major site I worked on was:

Blue - general operative.

White - PTS trained.

Green - Medic or First aider.

Lid of any colour, but usually shiny hi-viz, trousers tucked into their socks, and a clipboard - someone that costs the main contractor 50k a year, with no skills that seem applicable to the job.

Erik just wants to get value for money from previous purchases :)

Driving my elderly American aunt around the countryside a few years ago, she spotted a gang working on the railway in hardhats and Hi-Viz orange overalls.

"Are they a chain-gang?" she asked. :)

RogerS":20pmj4sj said:
Driving my elderly American aunt around the countryside a few years ago, she spotted a gang working on the railway in hardhats and Hi-Viz orange overalls.

"Are they a chain-gang?" she asked. :)

What sound were they making Roger?
Was it 'hoo haa'?
I've heard that all day long they sing that song.
Until the sun is going down in fact.

If the chain gang is like the one in cool Hand Luke watching the car wash count me in!

Pete

Back