Coffee table

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Derek Cohen (Perth Oz)

Established Member
Reaction score
It's been a long time since I made a coffee table. This one is for my son, who recently moved to Sydney. New city, new job. He has found a great apartment, and has begun to request furniture, first a coffee table to replace an Ikea piece his girlfriend purchased. I think that he is playing with fire! No, she's great :)

It's a long weekend in a fortnight, and Lynndy and I plan to visit. (We have family in Sydney, and old friends from when we lived there 30 years ago). My idea was to build a coffee table and take it on the plane as a sort of surprise (he knows I am building it, but will not expect it this way). Fun, eh? :)

So, I needed a knock-down design. And a design along the lines of Danish Modern, which would fit in nicely in his home.

I was taken with a piece by a Japanese maker, Ishitani. He has some great builds on YouTube which are worth looking up. Inspiration came from this design of his ...

ISHITANI-1.jpg

The top lifts off ...

ISHITANI-2.jpg

... and the legs come apart ...

ISHITANI-3.jpg

The coffee table required two weekends to complete. That's a nice change from the pieces I've been building. The wood is Hard Maple. I've grown to like this stuff.

I made a few changes to the design. Firstly, it is a little slimmer and larger (I think): 38" long x 28" wide and 16 1/2" high. Plus a few modifications.

Here's the table ...

1a.jpg

To take this shot I had to crawl on the carpet. Much of the underside is unlikely to be seen, even at a distance.

2a.jpg

Here's what it looks like underneath. Where Ishitani left his rails straight, I've added a curve (you know me and curves) ..

4a.jpg

The legs come off for packing flat ...

5a.jpg

Join at the centre ...

6a.jpg

Ishitani connected breadboard ends with a dovetailed spline. I have used a true drawbored breadboard construction. The weather in Sydney changes from dry cold in Winter to high humidity in summer. I did not think that a dovetail would cope with this.

11a.jpg

Gotta show a tool - these were made with a Veritas Jack Rabbet (to balance the recent post of a power router for the mortices) ...

5a.jpg

9a.jpg

Another change is the legs are connected with hex bolts. I really could not envisage the coffee table living a life with a loose top ..

8a.jpg

7a.jpg

This was a very straightforward build. The only slight challenge was the legs - turning them precisely, and then morticing for the rails.

The mortices were first cut in the blanks ..

22a.jpg

.. and then turned ..

Leg1a.jpg

That's Peter Galpert's caliper on the lathe bed. I really recommend it for sizing spindles.

The tenons were fitted into the mortice ...

Leg2a.jpg

... and marked out:

Leg3a.jpg

.. before being rebated (is that the correct term here?) for the shoulder ...

leg4-1a.jpg

And that was it. Finish was a coat of Livos Universal Wood Oil to add a little amber to the very light maple. Then 5 coats of General Finishes water based poly was rubbed on for durability. This adds a little shine. Looks great.

Can't wait to see Jamie's face! :)

Regards from Perth

Derek

A nicely designed, relatively straightforward project, that only requires a cubic foot or two of carefully selected timber...but executed impeccably well.

Exactly what woodworking should be all about.

=D>

Just been admiring a coffee table build on the FOG then got very confused as I found myself admiring it again here, lol!

Very sharp, I like it.

Doug

Back