Coasters

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnny.t.

Established Member
Reaction score
Got a commission to make a set of 4 coasters that look like buttons...........Oh the joy.

buttons001.jpg

Camp or what eh?

I've got to deliver them later as the guy is up from that there London visiting his family who are local to me.

Do you think they look buttony?

JT

Paddington Bear would be very proud.

Well Done :)

That is really good and quirky enough to take off. Do the holes go right through? Just thinking practically and not your problem...coasters are to keep liquids off tables. Oh dear I am becoming the grumpy old man my kids thibnk I've always been :lol:

Pete

Bodrighy":2e99b9hj said:
Do the holes go right through?

Yep, the chap wants to tie ribbon through them to represent the stitches :lol: :lol: I didn't think holes right through were a good idea either but what the customer wants the customer wants :duno:

JT

johnny.t.":2qai5vi5 said:
Bodrighy":2qai5vi5 said:
Do the holes go right through?

Yep, the chap wants to tie ribbon through them to represent the stitches :lol: :lol: I didn't think holes right through were a good idea either but what the customer wants the customer wants :duno:

JT

Fair enough.

Pete

Jenx":1qabjdcq said:
Nice Job JT !! They do indeed look 'Buttoney' --- From this day forwards thou shalt be known as "Buttony Spiers. " :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
p.s. I love them J.T., very quirky. :wink:

johnny.t.":3803tuc4 said:
Got a commission to make a set of 4 coasters that look like buttons...........Oh the joy.

At least you had a fairly strong design brief JT, one step up from "I want a ****?, not too big but big enough" Wood? "something brown" :roll:

Hope the recipient liked the interpretation.

As a matter of interest did you seal them with anything? I've had some back for a refurbish that I did a few years ago that had lost their wax in use, am now trying wipe on melamine.

CHJ":2y97om16 said:
johnny.t.":2y97om16 said:

At least you had a fairly strong design brief JT, one step up from "I want a ****?, not too big but big enough" Wood? "something brown" :roll:

Hope the recipient liked the interpretation.

As a matter of interest did you seal them with anything? I've had some back for a refurbish that I did a few years ago that had lost their wax in use, am now trying wipe on melamine.

I use melamine for goblets that are going to be used. I found that if you put about 4 coats leaving it to dry in between even red wine doesn't seem to get through. That's after a year of use with the oldest one.

Pete
(Leave them a bit before passing on as the smell puts some people off :lol: )

Thanks chaps 8) .

Well he loved them and wants to sell them so looks like I'll be doing some more :roll: still its money :lol:

Chas, they're just sealed and waxed, maybe some melamine is needed :-k.

cheers Buttoney Spiers er I mean JT :oops:

johnny.t.":i4kdr70e said:
.... Chas, they're just sealed and waxed, maybe some melamine is needed .....

It's hard to be certain with this sort of thing isn't it, if they are just being sold as novelty items, and I guess they would not be too practical if they have ribbons or cords through the holes, then moisture contamination is not a priority. Perhaps just hard carnauba wax would be a compromise but there again melamine would certainly be a quicker, easier option.

johnny.t.":4evts5st said:

buttons001.jpg

Camp or what eh?

I've got to deliver them later as the guy is up from that there London visiting his family who are local to me.

Do you think they look buttony?

JT

Can i ask how you made them please?

I really like them, something a bit different.
I might be in the minority but I think the holes should go all the way through.

What diameter are they?

Les

Thanks for all the comments :D

Alie Barnes":t01kgsub said:
Can i ask how you made them please?

Sure can Alie 8) I turned some timber to a cylander of the desired width, then in a slightly cheating way to save time and hassle I made the front with the indented part just the same width as my standard chuck jaws with just enough of a straight side(about 1mm) for the jaws to grip, parted them off, then just reversed and finished the backs. Oh and I drilled the holes of course :lol:

Les, I didn't measure them :oops: I just matched my calipers to an old coaster that was in the shed :lol: They're somewhere around 3 1/2-4" wide.

Back