CNC Router article

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Interesting stuff Bob, cheers. I remember Fecn's CNC Machine from a few years ago. Clever indeed.

Thanks Bob that's really interesting. I've been trying to find the time to build myself a CNC machine for years as I'm fascinated by them - perhaps one day I'll actually get round to it :)

Cheers, I have a huge pile of links (that one included) and other articles on DIY CNC machines. I've read the whole of buildyourcnc.com probably twice over and I've even played with the software toolkits that translate DWG into cutting instructions. What I haven't done yet is take the plunge and start building one because a) I haven't really had anywhere to build it before now and b) I've never built anything like that before and I have a sinking feeling I'm biting off my than I can chew :?

I've noticed most DIY machines have a bed that moves in at least one axis but the design I've got in my head has a fixed bed. This seems to be how commercial machines are made. I'm guessing it's more complex to build though as there is more cable management and the need to build long, strong and accurate running tracks for the router head assembly.

I think it is all about the mass the machine has to move and the footprint.

A commercial machine taking say an 8 x4 sheet would need a footprint of 8 x 16 if it moved the workpiece. So fixed table is the way to go.

When it comes down to small 'table top' machines, the choice of moving head or moving table is not so clear.

A lot of work has gone into the designs online with quite a degree of refinement so unless there is a strong need to deviate, I think I would tend to start off cribbing one of those.

Bob

There are a great deal of plans available online. Some free some very cheap. The real problem with CNC is the cost. You just can't make a decent machine without spending 900-1500 minimum.

The quick costings I've done showed it came out about £1500 and that was with me using one of the computers I already have. I'm acutally rather more concerned about how long it would take to complete a few hours a week of spare time would mean it wouldn't be finished till I was old and grey.

Anyway, if I ever get round to it I'll make sure I post some pictures of the build.

Fascinating, fascinating but not something I would get a load of use from. Now if the router were replaced with a print head, methinks plotter! Of course z-axis movement could be reduced from scaled to simply up/down on/off.

xy

you've already got the X and Y axis. Just add the Z and you're all set :lol:

Oh Thanks a lot by the way i read through this article and it has energized me once again to continue buying all the little bits and boobs for my cnc. I lost momentum.

Hard to believe it's made mostly out of wood. a very nice job indeed. He probably used his old cnc to build his new one though.

I like the idea of one making a CNC which is then used to make a bigger CNC but I just hope they don't start doing it on their own or they could effectively take over the world and eventually we'll all be living n the matrix..... :shock:

Back