Clueless! Please help

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Natalie768

Reaction score
Hello! I'm hoping someone might be able to help me! I'm trying to make a folding wooden baby gym for my daughter but I've never done anything like this before so I don't really know where to start! The thing I can't get my head around is how to get the frame to fold. Is there a specific kind of screw I can buy? I'm hoping to achieve the look shown in the photo I've (hopefully!) attached. Any tips would be most appreciated! Thanks!

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    12.2 KB · Views: 298
The horizontal dowel will be secured in the hole in the outermost 'leg'. The inner leg will be loose and allowed to pivot on the dowel.

Hi, new here myself, however, perhaps you could try the following?

Attachments

• Gym.jpg
    Gym.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 277
I'd be very wary of any scissor like action around babies and toddlers.

doctor Bob":2ecid25p said:
I'd be very wary of any scissor like action around babies and toddlers.

+1

You should make sure there is a very secure stay across the legs to avoid accidents. That could cause a lot of damage to soft limbs if it folded up.

Inbetween the two scissor parts if you add a washer (making the inner piece narrower) about the same thickness as your largest finger (normally a piece of dowel with the centre drilled out) which will be far thicker than a babies fingers or thumb, you avoid any issues with trapping little inquisitive fingers....including the babies!

deema":1qw8p7aq said:
Inbetween the two scissor parts if you add a washer (making the inner piece narrower) about the same thickness as your largest finger (normally a piece of dowel with the centre drilled out) which will be far thicker than a babies fingers or thumb, you avoid any issues with trapping little inquisitive fingers....including the babies!

Hmmm... not always just fingers with toddlers deema, their hands and feet are small enough to be a problem as well so really you have to make it almost impossible for it to collapse while in use.

In the interest of safety one option would be to add a horizontal bar between the two legs to prevent them from adjusting once set up? If you projected the legs past the joint like in the OP photo, you could do with at the top to keep it out of the way of the baby crawling around.

Latest posts

Back