Clever Festool Portable Workstation MFTC

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
white_sw":ymhitak2 said:
Just stumbled across this and thought I'd share... A complete solution for your Festool setup, onsite.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t5YzIwK-g0E
http://www.benchworks.be/mftc.html
http://festoolownersgroup.com/festool-j ... -workshop/

Great idea but probably need a small mortgage to buy it. This guy copied it and created his own. Most of my jobs don't have the space for something like this and if you set up in a garden it's guaranteed to rain. I use trestles and a piece of ply. Much quicker and easier to store.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJoGTf6KL8s

Grayorm":pta8y3eu said:
Great idea but probably need a small mortgage to buy it...
It's a self-build; he'll sell you a set of plans if you want to build your own - see the second link the OP posted.

he doesn't mention what he uses for the t track sides but this is pretty awesome better than others I have seen. wonder how he did the accurate 20mm holes in the top would think u need a cnc or buy the replaceable mft top from festool?
defo want one of these in my workshop.

Thanks for posting
regards Rick

rdesign":20e3d1ch said:
he doesn't mention what he uses for the t track sides but this is pretty awesome better than others I have seen. wonder how he did the accurate 20mm holes in the top would think u need a cnc or buy the replaceable mft top from festool?

Thanks for posting
regards Rick

Pencil & T square/straight edge would be my choice followed by router or drill with a square drilling jig.

Grayorm":1ubrysed said:
rdesign":1ubrysed said:

Thanks for posting
regards Rick

Pencil & T square/straight edge would be my choice followed by router or drill with a square drilling jig.

Would that method be accurate enough to use the dog holes for 90 degree cuts and 45 degree cuts a mm out would cause a lot of inaccuracies in cuts. Maybe i'm just not careful enough when marking out not sure i'd trust myself.... :/

Regards Rick

rdesign":1ih6jnfu said:
Grayorm":1ih6jnfu said:
Would that method be accurate enough to use the dog holes for 90 degree cuts and 45 degree cuts a mm out would cause a lot of inaccuracies in cuts. Maybe i'm just not careful enough when marking out not sure i'd trust myself.... :/

Regards Rick

I use qwas dogs and parf dogs on a Festool MFT (Multi Function Table), and the 90 degree and 45 degree cuts are exceptionally accurate. To put that in a practical context, it's as accurate as my Felder combination machine, which weighs over a ton and costs over £20,000. But it all stems from the CNC precision of the original hole layout and drilling. Peter Parfit reckons he can drill a copy using the original as a template, but to get that level of accuracy I think an original top has to be in the mix somewhere.

In lots of ways I think this type of bench/system represents the future for many branches of woodworking, maybe not traditional cabinet making, but certainly anything that uses a lot of sheet material or has a need for portability.

rdesign":9sgf38ao said:
he doesn't mention what he uses for the t track sides...
Sides are made from 18mm and 12mm ply - 18mm inner and a 12mm outer skin, with the t-track fitted into a slot routed in the 12mm outer.

wonder how he did the accurate 20mm holes in the top would think u need a cnc or buy the replaceable mft top from festool?
He made the top with Festool's LR32 rail system and rail dogs - it's 12mm MDF (rather than 18mm as on the MFT) to keep the weight down.

The plans are well worth a look - only about €7 or so, and interesting to see how it was constructed, even if you're not planning on making one! I bought the plans but decided against making my own as it would end up too heavy configured how I want it - easier for me to keep the portable bench and systainer stacks separate.

HTH Pete

Thanks pete for the info moving away from my shop for a whole year! emigration has its downfalls :( but will definitely consider buying the plans and making it when I return.

Regards Rick

Back