Clean your tools

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrA

Established Member
Reaction score
I have been putting together a selection of machine tools, some bought second hand some new, I've even made purchases that I wished I hadn't and resold them. In the second hand market I only bid on tools that are clean as this gives me the impression that they have been well looked after and well maintained.

During my purchasing journey, particularly on Ebay, I've noticed that there are good machines being listed that are covered in cr*p such as dust, oil, rust, woodchips and fecal matter, (I may have embellished the last one). I would have thought that with a little elbow grease the machines would sell for more if they were cleaned properly.

Is the esthetic appearnace of second hand machines important when you are looking to buy?

Nope, I bought a lovely old rusty wadkin planer. What sold it for me was that the person had been using it.

MrA":1ejo8gc8 said:
I have been putting together a selection of machine tools, some bought second hand some new, I've even made purchases that I wished I hadn't and resold them. In the second hand market I only bid on tools that are clean as this gives me the impression that they have been well looked after and well maintained.

During my purchasing journey, particularly on Ebay, I've noticed that there are good machines being listed that are covered in cr*p such as dust, oil, rust, woodchips and fecal matter, (I may have embellished the last one). I would have thought that with a little elbow grease the machines would sell for more if they were cleaned properly.

Is the esthetic appearnace of second hand machines important when you are looking to buy?

For me definitely. As you said it's an indication of how well it's been looked after.

I would never buy a second hand car where the engine and engine bay were spotlessly clean,the cynical devil that sits on my left shoulder would tell me that the engine leaks oil everywhere and thats why it has been cleaned, the same could be applied to second hand tools and machinery, as Chems said where the machine is from and who has been using it are good indicators as to the condition (under the muck) of any potential purchases.
Clean and tidy ish for its age and the use its had are good indicators of how the machine has been cared for but i like to see a little wear and tear as well.

MARK.B.":357req3r said:
I would never buy a second hand car where the engine and engine bay were spotlessly clean,the cynical devil that sits on my left shoulder would tell me that the engine leaks oil everywhere and thats why it has been cleaned,
Clean and tidy ish for its age and the use its had are good indicators of how the machine has been cared for but i like to see a little wear and tear as well.

I couldn't argue with you mark but you certainly wouldn't buy one of my cars then. :lol: My vans aren't quite to that standard but still very good and yes, I keep the engine clean on that too.

I am absolutely fanatical and when I change my car it's still in pristine and almost showroom condition - including the engine bay My last BMW at 3 1/2 years old was snapped up more than £1500 over top book and someone still got a bargain. My current Audi A6 will be absolutely the same.
There are some of us out there who genuinely look after our chattels very carefully and would never try to con anyone by hiding faults. That very much goes for machinery too.
You're absolutely right to be cynical as there are of course many who do cheat so it is buyer beware and it is very much about instinct regarding the user/seller and the little things like what condition are the accessories and manuals are in. Does everything else "fit" the picture and on ebay, does the sellers history check out and is he genuine, a dealer perhaps and feedback.

Cheers

Bob

pipper me Phil i never knew that :lol:

Nothing wrong with looking after your bits n pieces Bob, a little knowledge -a little common sense - a good judge of charecter- and a fair amount of luck go a long way when buying second hand (and new in some cases). Having been bitten once or twice over the years by less than honest people i tend to be a little cynical and perhaps a tad over cautious when it comes to parting with a few sheckle's, .
Dont need another car at the moment Bob but if you come across a horse drawn sleigh i might be tempted :lol:

I like to think that if you value something you'd look after it, even when selling a car you'd give it a clean at the very least, if it was full of burger boxes, fag burns and mud it would devalue it.

I'd buy a crappy looking tool if it was cheap and I thought it could be cleaned up and refurbished, but it would have to be reflected in the price. I generally keep my tools clean and tidy once I've finished with them and if I sell one I give it clean and a mini service. I guess its a case of standards at the end of the day.

What ag's me is when the tool is in crappy condition and the price is ambitiously high, I don't know why it ag's me when I'm not likely to buy it, but it does...... I must be mad

if you come across a horse drawn sleigh i might be tempted

Funny you should say that Mark. Now just where did I spot one of those? :wink:

I am OTT about my car (and van) :oops: So much so that my wife refuses to go on any sort of driving holiday with me as I won't allow her to eat in the car. Not unreasonable as I see it but she's taken the pip :roll: Different if it's hire car but I still am fussy. Came out of Monument Valley last year straight to the nearest car wash - sad or what

Bob

Latest posts

Back