Classic Hand Tools 2009 Events

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
EdSutton":427b90wv said:
Another thought, if at West Dean there were different demonstrators / speakers / events on the two days I would consider attending both days. For me this would mean an overnight stay somewhere, which in turn opens up the opportunity of a social event as Wizer suggests.

Anyone else thinking along these lines?

Cheers, Ed

The thought had crossed my mind Ed, an overnighter somewhere may be the way to do it, 'specially if there were different events on each day...might even be able to put a tent up in the grounds :) - Rob

Mike and Ed
An entrance fee seems fair for such a gathering of talent
Cressing is a good idea
A few europeans would be welcome - Emmerich perhaps?
Matt

woodbloke":2eeqge1c said:
...might even be able to put a tent up in the grounds :) - Rob

Well that would work for me if it were to be allowed - from what I can gather the campsite at Westonbirt is an event in its own right, but exhibitors only :( Plenty of room at West Dean though... :-k

Cheers, Ed

EdSutton":32nvxk4d said:
woodbloke":32nvxk4d said:
...might even be able to put a tent up in the grounds :) - Rob

Well that would work for me if it were to be allowed - from what I can gather the campsite at Westonbirt is an event in its own right, but exhibitors only :( Plenty of room at West Dean though... :-k

Cheers, Ed
Worth an enquiry? - Rob

Would certainly pay either an exhibition entrance or conference type registration fee for another West Dean event. I stopped over, and kick myself for not attending on the Sunday this year. (Some great watering holes down there.)
Cheers
Steve

woodbloke":7jmximq3 said:
EdSutton":7jmximq3 said:
I'd agree with Paul and Wizer - I have no issue at all with paying an entrance fee to an event where there are seminars and masterclasses on offer.

Cheers, Ed

Same here...an entrance fee isn't an issue with me - Rob

If an entrance fee helps make such events more viable, I'm in too.

Given that most events probably involve 20 quids worth of petrol, and some cases 80 quids worth of overnight accomodation, + food + drink, plus potential shiny new tool costs...

... another 10-20 quid that HELPS THE EVENT EXIST is a small, and IMHO well hypothecated marginal increase.

BugBear

EdSutton":t1b1736s said:

One of the things I am considering for West Dean is charging and your views on this are welcome .Views on opening hours are welcome - I think I favour 9-6 on the Saturday with a 40 min break for lunch and 9-4 on the Sunday with the same break..

I must confess that when I went to the Yandles show for the first time last autumn I was quite surprised at not getting charged. Most other things I go to like the reenactors markets always charge a fee at the door even if it is just a couple of pounds.

Entrance fee seems Ok by me - in fact free entry is a surprise :shock:
I paid 8 quid to get into Stoneliegh to what was essentially a temporary shopping mall and thought that was fair. So something where we are seeing the "stars" and learning seems fine by me.

Could someone post the postcodes (so I can look on Streetmaps) of these places you are talking about - I've little idea where they are?
I need to start selling the idea to SWMBO these areas would make nice holiday destinations :twisted:

I agree that an entrance fee is not a problem, one thought though is that last year I took along SWMBO as I had to treat it as a day out to get the OK! Can something be done so that I do not have to pay double, I would get it in the ear if I left her in the car but paying for her to look at incredibly interesting shiny toys would I think be a waste of money (and she would agree 150% there) :)

How about an entrance fee with a voucher attached, £10 to get in but an extra 5% off your first £200 spent or something. That way Mike has some guaranteed income to cover costs but if you spend you save, SWMBO would like that one as well as spend to save is always her logic :?

For customer research info, when I did West Dean last year I went just to look, came away with close to £400 worth of goodies, pretty glad I did take the wife as well 'cos she was the restraining factor on me spending even more! It was also a fantastic day as well, especially as the weather was so nice and we saw the pergerine falcons at Chichester cathedral afterwards.

MikeH":24f7nkxw said:
It was also a fantastic day as well, especially as the weather was so nice and we saw the pergerine falcons at Chichester cathedral afterwards.

buttocks! I was staying in Chichester AND had binoculars with me, but didn't know there were peregrines!

BugBear

bugbear":s7l5oxjm said:
MikeH":s7l5oxjm said:
It was also a fantastic day as well, especially as the weather was so nice and we saw the pergerine falcons at Chichester cathedral afterwards.

****! I was staying in Chichester AND had binoculars with me, but didn't know there were peregrines!

BugBear

When I was in the Falklands in Feb, SWIMBO and I were out and about in the mountains in a Landrover and a pair falcons were stood on a gate post about 10m from the Landy and they didn't fly off straight away. By the time we realised what they were, they'd gorn so I didn't get a chance for some pics (doghouse for the rest of the day :( ) but as we went on (we were driving down to Blue Beach where the memorial is) we saw a few more just hovering beside the road - Rob

Hi,
We had a pair nesting on a building at work, making loads of screeching noises and leaving pigeon wings all over the place, fantastic birds.

Pete

I should be able to update on who is coming to which show next year by Mid February. As yet I can't confirm anything but the dates. Some very interesting comments about the various merits of each show/location particularly in relation to Westonbirt.

To the gentleman who asked about Brian Boggs doing a course at West Dean next year - no his isn't but I haven't given up hope of him coming over in 2009.

Furniture display by UKW - only place for this is at Cressing Temple Sept 19/20 because there is room, easy access, security etc and I think it would be fun. Lighting isn't great but you could solve that. I would ask is that it is in place by 9am Saturday morning and that it stays there for the 2 days.

Beats me why you guys don't beat your drum a bit more and attract some more members. Woodworking shows need a more innovative approach in my humble opinion and I am trying to do my bit on the hand tools side of things. I think you good people can make a big difference over the long term to turning new people onto woodworking.

Each of the 3 shows I am planning will have different emphasis/bias and this is down to the host venue. You simply can't do a West Dean at Westonbirt but you can do a bigger West Dean at Cressing Temple with a European flavour (because it is 20 mins from Stansted and and 1 hour from Harwich and is easier for European visitors). Then again Cressing won't neccessarily keep the ladies in your life too engrossed unless they are history buffs or enjoy spending an hour or two in the walled gardens.
Westonbirt is beautiful and I think what we do there is an excellent effort (2 years ago, very few of you had even heard of the event) but I have no control outside my marquee and therefore it is difficult to steer it where it could and should go.

So it isn't straightforward. We'll keep you informed.

Best, Mike

Mike that was me asking about Brian Boggs, thanks for getting back to me about it, it's a shame, but as long as he comes back one day, I can wait.

The thing with the forum promoting itself is that the owner is happy to take a back seat and let it tick over. This would mean the members getting together and creating their own exhibition and promotional material, at their own cost. If they were to go that far, then they might as well create their own guild/club.

Anyway, thanks for the quick update, really looking forward to the events.

wizer":2p39vohn said:
they might as well create their own guild/club.

To a large extent we are a guild or club, just not a physical one. Web "clubs" have the advantage of being able to work with a low frequency demographic over a wide area, thus achieving critical mass.

A meeting of the hand tool enthusiasts in the average small town could be held in a potting shed - UKW is a good deal bigger than that.

BugBear

Bugbear wrote:
low frequency demographic over a wide area, thus achieving critical mass.
BB - you've been at those physics books again...not recommended bedtime reading! :lol:

Paul Chapman wrote:
And I bet someone would turn up with a Lie Nielsen dibber
...and I bet that would be Philly! :lol: - Rob

If we were to set things like this up, then we'd need to form some sort of committee. It would need some sort of structure and a way to manage it's own finances, as it's separate from Charley's 'business'. I'm not sure how the turning clubs do it? This is the only way we can setup regular events and promotions.

Latest posts

Back