Clarke Bandsaw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spence

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello,
I've been a lurker for a while and thought now would be a good time to register as I've a woodworking question!

I have a Clarke 12" Bandsaw but it has a motor missing, along with everything attaching the motor to the belt for the bottom wheel. From checking the parts list this is approximately 14 components, though some are just washers. The real bits I've had difficulty finding are motors. The spec sheet and Clarke online support have been little help as to what motor I need to replace.

I know that it's a 400W brush motor, aside from that I don't know much about it. Is it easy to replace a motor? The picture on the manual shows the motor attached externally so it's not like I have to fit a new one inside the case.

Any help or advice would be appreciated. I want to make use of the Bandsaw, I know it's not a great model but I'm new to this and can't afford new stuff.

Hello and welcome. I would think that what you have is next to useless, as you say the most expensive bits, apart
from the table are missing.
It would probably be better and cheaper to look out for another complete specimen.
The are similar to the B&D, and some other branded models, several members still use theirs, myself included,
These saws sometimes come up for sale in the members "for sale" section also keep a lookout on Gumtree and Flea bay.
I am unsure of a value today, but it would be wise to allow, say £30 on top for a decent Tuff saw blade, well recommended on here, and a set of guide blocks and a spare belt which when fitted and fettled, ought to cut well and
reliably consistent.
This link says 550 watt motor, --
HTH Regards Rodders

http://www.clarkeservice.co.uk/manuals/ ... bs12wv.pdf

Thanks for the reply. I agree with what you've said and my own findings are similar especially with used ones on eBay.

I would save for a new entry level Bandsaw but I am worried that those around £150 price range have motors with too little power. I'm looking for something to do Bandsaw boxes and rip cut some small pieces of wood.

It depends on how serious you are about using it really. The sad truth is that cheap bandsaws are not very good and good bandsaws are not very cheap. The two do not go together. :(
The weaknesses of the cheap ones include low-powered motors, flimsy fences and blade guides that are difficult to adjust or offer little support.These machines are built down to a price and they give disappointing results. If you can get yourself into a mindset where you are prepared to spend rather more money, then you will have a much better bandsaw experience from the outset.

I think that this is particularly important if you plan to make bandsaw boxes, because you will be using a narrow blade to cut relatively thick timber, so you will need a bit of oomph for that and for ripping a reliable fence is a big help.

I have a classic b&q cheap bandsaw. Not fantastic but ok for roughing out, probably better when I actually get around to fettling it.

For me, fine for what I need at the moment. Bought from eBay local, new blade already fitted (albeit a cheap one) £16 I think I paid.

I looked at a cheap Clarke one with the table missing, just as expensive as buying new by the time you source replacement parts.

I've seen a few on eBay that's true, however the older generation models are very expensive. No doubt because they are manufactured properly and have been looked after those in love with woodworking. For the amateur however I cannot justify a large spend and I don't think I would be able to do one of those old machines justice.

That said, I have looked at a few online. I've narrowed it down to either a new Axminster Hobby Series HBS205N Bandsaw (£159) but out of stock currently. http://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-hobby-series-hbs205n-bandsaw

A Scheppach Basa 1 195mm Bandsaw 240V (£150) from Screwfix http://www.screwfix.com/p/scheppach-basa-1-195mm-bandsaw-240v/77322

A used Scheppach Prima HBS 32 Vario I've seen on eBay that is really local to me for £165. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SCHEPPACH...-With-Stand-/331615541328?hash=item4d35d39850

My leaning is towards the Axminster, mostly because it's made in the U.K, has favourable reviews and would be absolutely new. The eBay one is tempting as it looks well loved. Any advice?

I have the big Scheppach and it's never let me down. Buying S/H you will get a lot more machine for the same money. Bandsaws are not complicated machines and everything is visible, soit's pretty easy to see if everything is there, intact and in good condition. If the Scheppach is local, why not ask to go and see it before you bid?

Back