clamps

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ateallthepies

Established Member
Reaction score
I am gradually building up a set of carpentry shop tools with thanks to my local Axminster and get quite a rush buying stuff that seems quite un-controlled at times.
I went in a while back for some small item and walked out with a bench disk sander #-o

Anyway I digress, at the moment at the top of my want list is some decent clamps.

I have a small selection of quick grips and some Axi F clamps but was drooling at the Bessy clamps in the store. The benefit I can see apart from the greater clamping pressure is that they are self supporting.

Are these worth investing in as they are several times the price of the lower end offerings and will they out-last me or are they a buy once type of tool?

Thanks,

Steve.

From my limited exp, the K body cramps are superb - though check Rutlands' Dakota parallel jaw cramps, which are a less expensive copy of the previous version of the Bessys (reputedly from the same factory.) These are a little cruder in action, but still work well enough.
Hearsay has it that Bessey's lightweight uniklamps are less worthy of their premium price.
Steve

Bessey have an excellent reputation, generally. I wish I had them.

Remember though, oft times you need lots of clamps but not lots of pressure. In that case any metal clamp is overkill and a whole assembly-full of them can end up weighing a ton.

Consider making yourself a batch or two of Luthier clamps. There is a video of how I make them here. They are cheap, convenient, fast action, light and a nice little project in their own right.

Cheers
Steve

Besseys are a buy once tool, so you wont regret getting the KR-bodies.

I tried the Rutlands copies but like many sent them back because they were poor quality.
There's at least one thread here about troubles with them.

I have a load of the Bessey UK60 UniKlamps (think that's what they're called), and they are pretty much AWESOME, the only thing is when you get glue on the threads you have to get it off sharpish or they won't work. Subsequently, what's the best thing to clear Titebond II with?

Cheers_Dan

Steve Maskery":3o1d9p3t said:
Consider making yourself a batch or two of Luthier clamps. There is a video of how I make them here. They are cheap, convenient, fast action, light and a nice little project in their own right.

Cheers
Steve

I really enjoy watching your jig vids steve, think I need to go off and buy 1 to 3 8)

Latest posts

Back