Clamps upgrade

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tibi

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Hello,

When I started woodworking, I bought a few pistol grip clamps from a local hardware store. They were 300,450,750 mm in length. Initially, they were not very strong but held just fine. But over time, their grip deteriorated and now they hold...

https://www.youtubetrimmer.com/view/?v=FxYw0XPEoKE&start=216&end=221&loop=1
so I have decided to throw them away and upgrade with something better.

I like the 300 mm length, so I would probably buy a set of 4 - 300 mm clamps initially and then I would need another set of 4 clamps that would be suitable for carcass glueing. Can you please recommend to me what size would be suitable for carcass work and also what type? I do not want cheap aluminium body/sash clamps, but I do not also want to shell out 100+ Eur for a single Bessey clamp.

Thank you very much.

I keep an eye on Amazon warehouse as I often find bargains. I know they are expensive but I do find the Bessey Revo excellent, and the Uniklamps too for smaller glue-ups.

I assume you are referring to F-clamps, and not the body-style (Bessey Revo) clamps. Have you considered Sautershop? They offer a pair of their brand of 300mm F-clamps for €26 and ship to Slovakia.

https://www.sautershop.com/f-clamp-300mm-sauter-he-tc-2x300?c=16471
Thank you Mike,

I have also considered F-clamps as they are stronger than pistol-grip clamps. Similar F-clamps can be also bought here, but I know that cheaper ones tend to slip on the beam when tightened. Its about finding a reliable brand.

So I will probably buy smaller F clamps and bigger body clamps for carcass work.

I would say that the Bessey one handed clamps are good for assembly, hold something together and then just clamp one handed. Once aligned you can then use beefier clamps if you need more pressure. Having come from a metal background I can say woodworking is as much about clamps as it is joints, you cannot have enough clamps of different types at hand to get control over wood.

I would say that the Bessey one handed clamps are good for assembly, hold something together and then just clamp one handed. Once aligned you can then use beefier clamps if you need more pressure. Having come from a metal background I can say woodworking is as much about clamps as it is joints, you cannot have enough clamps of different types at hand to get control over wood.

Everyone had a situation when he applied glue and then wished he went shopping for some clamps instead. I do not say that I will not acquire more clamps over time, but I want to say that I want to trash clamps that do not work and replace them with quality clamps instead.

but I want to say that I want to trash clamps that do not work and replace them with quality clamps instead.
A good move, decent clamps are just a pleasure to use. I started with Irwin heavy duty lever clamps and still find a use for them but once I used Bessey I was surprised by just how much clamping force they could apply using a screw handle and it made closing joints much easier.

These may interest you Pony Jorgensen clamps

I did order x4 quick clamps via an eBay seller but MyHermes lost them but was compensated by being sent the F clamps ( x8) and a few other items as a gift

For using on cabinets I have some old sash cramps about 4’ long and 6’ long

but I’m looking at 3/4” Pipe cramps at the moment which may suit you as you can just buy another pipe longer or shorter I think if the pipe is threaded both ends you can add an extension pipe , video below , in the description gives a link to web site for pipe and clamp heads but eBay search may be better

Hope that helps

some on here hate pipe clamps but they are cheap, strong and infinatley variable in length....
even the pipe is cheap....
I was gifted 2 record x 8' clamps, hardly ever use em......
I do have a few Record clamps that uses a hardwood frame.....
frame a has a load of measured holes......quit nice but a bit fiddly....
Gotta say pistol clamps are rubbish....bought a load of Stanley ones in a bankrupt sale....
wish I had'nt.....

Thank you Mike,

I have also considered F-clamps as they are stronger than pistol-grip clamps. Similar F-clamps can be also bought here, but I know that cheaper ones tend to slip on the beam when tightened. Its about finding a reliable brand.

So I will probably buy smaller F clamps and bigger body clamps for carcass work.

F clamps won't slip unless you're planking a boat.
I've never had that happen laminating things.
The Achilles heel on some smaller f clamps , is the foot/pad on the end of the thread will mash,
and one is just left with a nub which will need a block of scrap instead.
Awaiting a few more to go the same so a proper fix involving the welder will be done.

Clamps are tools that you build up as you go along so it's important to get the right ones from the beginning. For joinery work I don't think you can beat the standard Record - Irwin clamps. Extender bars are available at 36" long for the 135 series. As you are in Slovakia I would also look at the range of Hatagane clamps available from www.fine-tools.com. They are lighter duty than the Record but very versatile. No import duty from Germany either.

F clamps won't slip unless you're planking a boat.
I've never had that happen laminating things.
The Achilles heel on some smaller f clamps , is the foot/pad on the end of the thread will mash,
and one is just left with a nub which will need a block of scrap instead.
Awaiting a few more to go the same so a proper fix involving the welder will be done.

I've had them slip, it depends what you use them for, they don't work well for all jobs, that's why I have a few different types of clamps for different things.

I use the lidl f-clamps, bought 12 of them last year, they are very good worth every penny, I'm going to get a few more when they are in stock again.

luthier clamps are good too, the wooden ones, I'm going to make some of these soon

I picked up some lidl f clamps last year, 3 for £7 I think, 18" ish, they seem very good for the money, and I definately get more.

The clamps I use the most, or at least the ones I grab first, are some lightweight irwin quick grips for a glue up, or the heavy quick grips if I need to saw something. I find the fact that I can use them with one hand makes them the easiest to use, then I can follow up with other clamps if needed.

Back