Clamps and guides - Axminster

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ike

Established Member
Reaction score
I want to get a clamp guide and am wondering whether tis better to get the Proguide or if the Perform is up to the job. Also whether the HD Proguide is worth it.

Also, anyone used their own-brand edging clamps? Please - don't mention the word 'Bessey' ! - I don't have the budget.

Does anyone have one of these and what's your experience/recommendation? In the past I have sometimes been disappointed by and at other times pleasntly surprised by what I find in the box from Axminster. Some of their descriptive blurb on the quality and function of a piece of stuff can be erm... shall I say - optimistic (IME, steer clear of CMT router extensions and the (cheapy) right-angle drill attachment :wink: ).

thanks for any advice,

Ike

I just got one of the perform 50 inch jobbies, seems fine so far.

HTH

Steve

I've got one of the 24" ones - use it as a guide for the router for doing housings;no problems so far,even with three pieces of timber clamped together.

Andrew

Ike,
I think you are right to be cautious. I got a cheap unbranded clamp and it is useless. There are such loose tolerances in the clamping mechanism it moves several mm sideways once clamped.
It looks as though in this case the ‘perform’ version is up to the job. I generally avoid them having regretted not spending the extra on several occasions.
Jon.

I'm going to go for a 50"Proguide with end stop. Not sure why not the Perform. One of those eeny meany miney mo decisions! Also getting the Axminster std clamps and edging clamps. Will be using all this in the week so will let you know how I find it!. Thanks for the responses.

cheers,

Ike

Back