Clamping blades on a hegner

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tombo46

Established Member
Reaction score
Bought my first scroll saw and it arrived today. Everyone seems to rave about the hegners so I figured I'd get a model that's tried and tested instead of getting a cheaper version and regretting it later.

I've been having a play with it (not actually cut anything yet haha) and I can't seem to get the hang of releasing the blade from the top clamp and putting it back in. As with a lot of scroll work you need to be able to feed the blade in through the bottom of the work. I've been trying to bloody ages now to clamp the blade back in to the top clamp in the right position but keep making a balls of it. Is it just a case of practice or am I doing something wrong?

I just bought the Multicut 1 to start out with.

All I'm trying to do is loosen off the top clamp to release the blade and put it back in again an tighten it! that's literally all I'm trying to do but as embarrassing as it is, I cant?

It might be a silly question, but did you read the manual?

Slacken the tension at the back of the saw. Tighten the top thumbscrew to hold the clamp in place, slacken the clamp screw with the clock key, feed blade through hole in work, position the blade in the clamp and bring the clamp down until the blade goes about 1/8" (!) into the clamp, tighten screw with clock key. Undo thumbscrew to allow clamp to pivot, put tension back on at back of saw. I hope that makes sense.

(!) When I first got mine, I pulled the arm down until the blade touched the clamp screw, then backed it off just a fraction
If you intend doing lots of internal cuts, you will be as well investing in a quick clamp for about 20 quid.

martinka":1l4596x9 said:
It might be a silly question, but did you read the manual?

Slacken the tension at the back of the saw. Tighten the top thumbscrew to hold the clamp in place, slacken the clamp screw with the clock key, feed blade through hole in work, position the blade in the clamp and bring the clamp down until the blade goes about 1/8" (!) into the clamp, tighten screw with clock key. Undo thumbscrew to allow clamp to pivot, put tension back on at back of saw. I hope that makes sense.

(!) When I first got mine, I pulled the arm down until the blade touched the clamp screw, then backed it off just a fraction
If you intend doing lots of internal cuts, you will be as well investing in a quick clamp for about 20 quid.

I did read the manual yes. One of the few tools I actually did haha.

Thanks for the description. It seems I am doing it right but I'm just rubbish at it. I'm either getting the blade too far in or not far enough. The light in my workshop is a lot better than my living room so I might find it a bit easier there.

Thanks for clearing it up. Is the quick clamp worth getting then? Saw it on the site but thought I'd purchase it later if it was needed.

Thanks again,

Tom

Some owners manage perfectly well without the quick clamp, but if you intend doing lots of internal cuts, I'd recommend buying one. I'm about to post a photo of something I just cut with about 150 internal cuts and I certainly wouldn't have liked to attempt it without the quick clamp.

Martin.

martinka":1esvu8n9 said:
Some owners manage perfectly well without the quick clamp, but if you intend doing lots of internal cuts, I'd recommend buying one. I'm about to post a photo of something I just cut with about 150 internal cuts and I certainly wouldn't have liked to attempt it without the quick clamp.

Martin.
I bet! That must have taken forever! How long did it take?

Hi Tom I hope that you will be pleased with the Multicut 1,I have had one many years now and well satisfied with it.I would buy the quick blade clamp it does make pierced work much easier and blade clamping faster.I hope with Martin's post that you can undo the top clamp and tighten it up again.It will be very easy in time,and you will be able to do it blindfolded,until then just keep asking questions and hopefully we will be able to answer them.

Bryan

martinka":3a0vpjvf said:
Difficult to say as I kept stopping but I'd guess about 5 or 6 hours, maybe even more. My back thinks it took about 3 weeks. :)

Martin.

That's pretty quick work! Don't talk about backs...I'm self employed and had to shut my shop yesterday for the first time ever as my back "went" in the middle of the night and landed me in hospital. I'm only 27! Think I need a new career haha.

Bryan Bennett":3dg1fijw said:
Hi Tom I hope that you will be pleased with the Multicut 1,I have had one many years now and well satisfied with it.I would buy the quick blade clamp it does make pierced work much easier and blade clamping faster.I hope with Martin's post that you can undo the top clamp and tighten it up again.It will be very easy in time,and you will be able to do it blindfolded,until then just keep asking questions and hopefully we will be able to answer them.

Bryan
Cheers Bryan =]

stevebuk":2mzfoec0 said:
another vote for the quick clamp, wouldn't be without one..enjoy your saw..
Cheers Steve. I only ever intended to use it to make cleaner looking bandsaw boxes but I've been looking at a lot of scroll work recently and I have a feeling I'll be using it more than originally planned....

Tombo46":2qn38lpc said:
stevebuk":2qn38lpc said:
another vote for the quick clamp, wouldn't be without one..enjoy your saw..
Cheers Steve. I only ever intended to use it to make cleaner looking bandsaw boxes but I've been looking at a lot of scroll work recently and I have a feeling I'll be using it more than originally planned....

oh dear, another slippy slope coming up...

Tombo46":1r9aar6k said:
Bought my first scroll saw and it arrived today. Everyone seems to rave about the hegners so I figured I'd get a model that's tried and tested instead of getting a cheaper version and regretting it later.

I've been having a play with it (not actually cut anything yet haha) and I can't seem to get the hang of releasing the blade from the top clamp and putting it back in. As with a lot of scroll work you need to be able to feed the blade in through the bottom of the work. I've been trying to bloody ages now to clamp the blade back in to the top clamp in the right position but keep making a balls of it. Is it just a case of practice or am I doing something wrong?

I am right handed so this is how I do it -:

With the left hand grip the blade between the thumb and forefinger at the same time using the other fingers on the left hand to hold down the top arm, it's then simple to guide the blade into the slot and using the right hand tighten the blade allen screw.
This is so much simpler with the quick clamp and IMHO it is absolutely essential. :)

Back