Clamp recommendations

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do they stay parallel when put under there max pressure?
I've only used them twice so far, for some cabinets and shaker style doors so not a huge amount of pressure and I have no experience with more expensive clamps but so far I am very happy and for the price I will be buying more.

image.jpg
Very happy with the results of using the clamping cauls on this test piece. Now need to scale it up. Think I need to not get carried away and try making something too thick in one go.

image.jpg
Can see that one join isn’t as tight as the others, should I worry much about this?
It was only B&Q CLS, not planed at all.
Does anyone have a recommendation for the best way (sorry cheapest and simplest) to improve the preparation of the wood for laminating. Should I buy a plane and try to do a side and top face at least if intending for a workbench?

I am sugesting a way to improvise if you can not afford to buy clamps. Remember man was sticking bits of wood together and using the pressure from wedges for around 6k years before the screw thread was invented. The fact that cauls help keep it flat is a bonus. it is a way to apply clamping pressure on a large item without having a bench, unless you use pasta twists, the metal threaded rod will outlast the wood of the caul believe me. just remember all the fancy gear just does what the old ways did but with more convenience and sometimes accuracy (not needed in this case). Just get some CLS to make the caul and the rod costs £1.20 a metre in B&Q get a couple of washers and nuts and away you go all in about £10

Digging up an old thread here I know. But just wanted to say thanks @Droogs for the info and advice. As you know I live in Amazonia and getting equipment out here is not easy - things not available or super expensive. Need to do some panel glue ups and don't have the clamps. Rather than pay a small fortune for sash clamps (can't get parallel clamps or pipe clamps here) I'll follow your suggestions and improvise with cauls and wedges. Cheers!

Last edited:
Back