Circular saws

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DennisCA

Established Member
Reaction score
Got some additional income from selling some old stuff I no longer use and now I want to put part of it into some woodworking tools. I've pretty much decided I want a Bosch GOF 1600 CE but I also want a new circular saw, my Bosh PKS40 is a piece of junk that I can hardly find blades for and now it screams and vibrates like crazy and I can't fix it.

Looking for info on circular saws and a local favorite on swedish woodworking sites is the Hitachi C6BU2, I think the part number might be slightly different in other euro contries, seen it called just C6U2. I saw Hitachi has another saw that looks real interesting, it's a bit bigger than the C6BU2 and is called C6BUY. It takes the same size blade (165mm) but uses a 20mm bore instead of a 30mm bore so more blades are available, and it has 66mm depth of cut while the U2 only has 55mm, despite the same blade size. The extra depth of cut would come in handy I think, since I might have a timber joining project in my future.

Anyone used this saw, haven't really seen any english info on these saws. I found a dutch site with a good price though
http://www.powertools-webshop.nl/zagen/ ... hine-.html

Best price I found for the router would rubart.de for circa 350 euros.

Hi Dennis,

I'm not familiar with that particular Hitachi saw, but I did once own its big brother; the 235mm C9U2.

What I thought about it:

Good

Ample power

Bad

Very plasticky
Ludicroulsy short flex
Awful riving knife

I replaced it with an American worm drive saw (Skil HD77) for general sawing tasks and it's phenomenally good. I know they're very rare outside of the US and Canada, but if you ever come across one... buy it!

Sorry I can't be of much further help.

Mark

Mark

+1 for a worm drive saw.

Failing that, the Hitachi saws (and Hitachi tools in general) have come on leaps and bounds in the last few years. They are now a brand seriously worth considering for any professional. FWIW, I'd plump for one with a 9" (235mm) blade as it gives you much more scope in the workshop.

A worm drive saw (or makita hypoid) would be nice but as long as they aren't 230V/50hz that's not going to happen sadly.

Dennis

We have Hitachi C7SB2 at work currently, thick ally base plate and a very strong motor - probably one of the best standard circular saws I have used. Heavy though if that's a problem.

Some Hitachi tools are very good at the moment, the best 9" grinder I have used in the last couple of years was Hitachi koki and we have certainly got through some over the years.

FWIW

Latest posts

Back