Circle cutters - two blade on a beam type

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had a cheap on once. It was nothing short of lethal! I assume the more expensive ones are higher specced, but they are still a dangerous concept.

as long as you are very careful then I guess you'll be ok. Just make sure everything is very tight, you use a slow speed and preferably a drill press.

I have one I got from Screwfix.

They certainly aren't for the faint hearted!

They need a lot of torque to keep them cutting which means a powerful drill and then if they dig in you can end up spinning with the drill. Just hold on to it very tight and go steady - don't press hard whatever you do or it will definitely dig in.

In a pillar drill they are much better but watch out for running too fast because the bar becomes invisible and you risk catching your hand in it while bringing the drill down. Clamp whatever you are cutting down to the table and go steady.

In spite of the above, I like mine and find it gives a decent cut and is much better than a hole-saw.saw.

Cheers
Mike

Ouch.

Definitely pillar drill (my 1 human power one works just fine - provided I remember to disengage the auto advance) and definitely clamp down the work. If need crisp edges, find it helps to put a spit coat of shellac on first (in softwoods anyway, which is all I use mine on.)

Fun thing is the ability to take shaped cutters, so can put a finer custom moulding into the piece than would be possible with a tailed router.

Cheers
Steve

I used a less expensive one and found it best to use only one cutter but they are not my preferred method to cut holes

I have a single cutter version of this and if used in the pillar drill on the slowest speed and the work clamped down it does a reasonable job.
I also have a circle cutting jig for the router that I have used with great success, if your interested I will dig out the details.

I purchased one of these from ebay this week (about £9 delivered) - although not yet used it seems well enough made.

One thing to note though if you are planning to use with a smallish bench pillar drill is the length of the bar may hit against the pillar on the drill - my cutter needs about 6" clearance, so you may need to shorten the bar.

Back