Cider gum any good for turning?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ericdockum

Established Member
Reaction score
Saw the following on the Huntingdon Freeads site. Not in my capability to do, nor do I have the gear or insurance to do so. maybe of use for someone here.

Also don't know if it is any use for turning, can't find a reference that describes how it cuts, the RHS mention it, but from a growing point of view. If it is nice it would be a shame to have a cowboy cut it down and just burn it.......

OFFER: Free wood in exchange for cutting down tree (Sawtry)
I have a large Eucalyptus cider gum tree that I need cutting down. If
anyone is willing to come and cut it down you can take it all away for
free. And all that wood is worth a lot of money!

If anyone is interested check the Huntingdon freeads site.

I hear that Eucalyptus is not the best for turning but I have seen some interesting stuff tuned from it. I have a Eucalyptus tree kind of promised to me so may get to have a try soon. Personally I won't fell anything where there is a reasonable risk of property or passer by damage as I don't have the qualifications of the insurance. I have felled plenty of trees but won't touch anything complicated and only on my land of where I perceive the risk to be very low. Be careful with who you get to cut it down. If there is any risk (and there always is with chainsaws and trees) make sure the person is trained and has insurance - that is my advice anyway.

BM

I agree, just for clarity I am nothing to do with the ad, I just saw it and thought someone might find it useful.

My garage is full of a beech cut last year, and I have a mature Ash in the garden, how long before it gets sick I don't know. hopefully my turning capabilities will improve before then.

I guess there will be a lot of Ash available in the next few years...... :(
eric.

"The ancient olive groves of southern Italy, which provide much of the prized oil Italy exports to the world, are being destroyed by deadly, insect-borne bacterium which has already infected nearly half a million trees and has no known cure.
The Xylella Fastidiosa bacteria, which hails from the Americas, has now infected trees across 74,000 acres of the region of Puglia in Italy’s heel and is spreading rapidly." Quote - The Telegraph

I don't about a glut of ash, but will we get a glut of olive wood? Somehow, I think not... anyway, back to eucalypts - the only one I have used was quite hard, featureless and dull - probably OK for tool handles and the like but not much else.

Interesting thread. I'd never heard of cider gum but then I'm in the wrong area and there are about 800 species of eucalypts! From what I picked up on the internet, turning green would be incredibly messy.
I've no idea what the wood is like but eucalypts vary between the stunning and the dead boring.
I certainly wouldn't try to fell a mature tree in someone's garden with all the insurance and safety worries plus having to get rid of all the small branches and foliage. Then you have to bench, seal and season.
I wonder if anyone out there has any experience with it, would be good to know.

Back