Chuck Weight - Too Heavy?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PaulH

Established Member
Reaction score
I recently acquired a second hand Record Power DML36 Lathe (see here) - my first venture into turning. While the lathe came with both two and four prong drive centres along with a revolving centre for the tailstock, I'm interested in acquiring a chucking system to allow me to do bowls etc rather than just spindle turning.

I've had a look through the "which chuck?" topics on this Forum and am currently considering the Axminster "package".

However, before I purchase, I noted that in some posts there was mention that some chucking systems were probably too heavy for "entry level" lathes and hence seek your advice as to whether the Axminster is appropriate for the DML36. (I want to buy a good chuck that will last should I out grow the DML36, but don't want it to destroy my current lathe!)

Thanks,
Paul.

They are all pretty heavy, Paul, although possibly the Supernova2 is slightly lighter. I haven't heard of a chuck doing any damage to a Record Lathe. I would be a little wary of mounting a vary large unbalanced lump of wood though........

Chucks suitable would be the following

Supernova2 ~ £129.00
Nova G3 (due to be launched in the next few weeks by Record) ~£99.00
Vicmarc Vm90 ~ £125
Vicmarc VM100 ~ £146
RP4000 ~ £159 (inc free jaws)
RP3500 ~ £99.00

All these are 4 jaw self cantering chucks the G3, supernova2 and the Vicmarc chucks all have inserts that mean you can change the fitting on the chuck if you change your lathe. The craft supplies chuck at £75.00 is a copy of the Vicmarc VM100 and looks OK as a value for money Chinese made chuck not had a look inside one though so I cannot comment on quality.

There are other chucks that are suitale but I am not sure of the weights so cannot say which ones for sure

I, too, have been looking at chucks. Need a "better" one.
I notice Poolewood are offering a Fox FX4000 @ £79.00.
The same chuck in the Craft Supplies catalogue is £119.00. Something strange going on there??? Cynic that I am!

When I wanted a chuck i phoned Axminster and asked about the weight of that chuck. The reply was that as it is balanced the weight was immaterial. The weight of an unbalanced lump of wood was far more important. I bought the Axminster chuck and have been very satisfied with it. I also have the 100mm clubman chuck which is equally good.

Thanks for all the replies - I suppose a balanced load would put less strain on the bearings so perhaps my concerns are ill founded.

I'm particularly interested in the Axminster because:

1) Positive comments from Forum members in relation to the chuck
2) The "package" seems to me to be a good deal pricewise
3) I have a 10% discount voucher for Axminster if I order before 20 April :D

Will just have to take the plunge now then.....

Thanks again,
Paul.

Latest posts

Back