chuck sizes

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

caretaker

Established Member
Reaction score
Now this may seem a silly question but I have been watching chucks for sale on ebay and sooner or later I will need to get one, but what one will fit my lathe.
I know that the tpi is 16 if that helps.
I suppose I just screw it on.
Any tips on what sort I will need for small bowls or general wood turning.

Hi CT.

Generally with a TPI of 16 it is usually 3/4", but that needs to be checked.

You shouldn't be worrying too much about what chuck, any decent scroll chuck would do. What you should really consider is that it can take different thread adapters. That must be one of your main concerns, then if in the future you change your lathe all you need do is purchase a new adapter to fit the new threads. The second and almost as important is to see how many different types/sizes of jaws you can buy for your chuck, you don't have to buy them, but they are there if you ever need them.

I have 2 Supernova chucks and they have done everything I have asked of them, but if I was buying now I would be looking at the new 'Versa' chuck, simply because of the variety of jaws that can be fitted to it. It also comes with whatever backplate is needed to fit your lathe.

All the above is only my personal opinion of course.

Good luck with your choice.

Hi Reg

Not a silly Q at all - a perfect fit is an absolute requirement - the chuck is a precision piece of kit. Which is why they are not cheap (There are nasty rumours about profiteering!, but the chucks are undoubtedly well put together).

Several routes open to you........
1 - You can do a lot with jam chucks - the name says it all! Cut an appropriate cavity in a softwood block that is mounted on a faceplate, and then jam your workpiece into it, and off you go.
A cheaper-than-a-chuck solution - I've done quite a variety of bowl type things that way.

2 - Or use a similar block turned and mounted on a faceplate, and glue your workpiece to it, using some stiffish paper as the meat in the sandwich. Ease/chisel your piece off when done (sounds a bit primitie but can produce v v good results.
Same again - works a treat.

3 - or indeed go for a chuck. Any chuck will do the job, i.e. to hold your workpiece securely. There are - broadly - two types, a collet chuck and a scroll chuck.
Folk often mount the piece into a collet chuck off the lathe cos it's easier to handle that way. Some folk swear by them, some folk find them too fiddly, but they do the job.
The Scroll chuck is set-up to work in such a way that you'll probably never need to take it off to mount a workpiece - e.g open jaws, insert workpiece, close jaws.

You pays your money and takes your choice - collet chucks start at about £40 (I think!) and rise to £100 or more new. Scroll chucks start at about £90 and rise to over £150 new.

They do indeed screw on, at the headstock end. Your drive shaft, where the centre currently sits may have a 'thread protector' fitted - that's a large nut that protects that shaft thread by covering it up.
So to fit them, take out the centre, take off the protector if fitted, and screw on the chuck.

Your lathe docs will tell you the thread size - and therefore the chuck threadsize needed - that you need to get right otherwise it won't fit!!

It'll look something like 3/4" x 16, or 1" x 8 - the first is the shaft size, the secnd is the teeth per inch (TPI). The chuck and shaft dimensions must match. Adapters are available and usually work fine.

Happy hunting! Prices on Ebay for this kind of kit tend to be between 1/2 and 3/4 of the cost new.

I know 3 people who have the versa chucks and have been disappointed they do not take all the jaws as advertised and have had alignment problems with different jaws. My advice would be to stick to one brand and buy their jaws either all Supernova or all Vicmarc all Axminster etc once you start mixing things up you get problems

There was some good information on chucks, thanks, when I return from holiday I will pop down to Axminster and get clubman K10 100mm for £109.94.
Plus a drill chuck, as they are only about £10.
Hope you all agree with me, I have convinced the wife.
I can pop into Yandles as well for some more blanks.
Thanks again for all the tips.

Back