chuck help please

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swamp diver

Established Member
Reaction score
i am looking at a few different chucks at the moment

RECORD RP3000X
Record 4 jaw woodturning scroll chuck
Multistar duplex lathe chuck
Fox FX3500

these are the 4 i have found that are within my buget, only the FX3500 is brand new the rest are 2nd hand. for now i am wanting a chuck that will hold small stuff resin blanks and such like, but would like the chance to be able to expand its use at a later stage.

can any one give me a heads up with their personal opinion of these chucks and there pros and cons and what sort of price i should be looking at paying for them

Hi,
It looks as if you are on quite a tight budget and so your options may be quite limited but in general I would recommend key operated scroll chucks in preference to tommy-bar (lever) operated and/or collet chucks if you're looking for flexibility.

The Record 4-jaw chuck to me stands out as potentially the best buy in this list particularly if it's compatible with the Vicmarc jaws.

This is very much off the top of my head but I'd say about £50 would be a reasonable price to pay for a 2nd-hand Record 4-jaw scroll chuck with a single set of jaws. I wouldn't bother with the others at more than say £30.

HTH
Jon

chipmunk":wnrc25tb said:
Hi,
It looks as if you are on quite a tight budget and so your options may be quite limited but in general I would recommend key operated scroll chucks in preference to tommy-bar (lever) operated and/or collet chucks if you're looking for flexibility.

The Record 4-jaw chuck to me stands out as potentially the best buy in this list particularly if it's compatible with the Vicmarc jaws.

This is very much off the top of my head but I'd say about £50 would be a reasonable price to pay for a 2nd-hand Record 4-jaw scroll chuck with a single set of jaws. I wouldn't bother with the others at more than say £30.

HTH
Jon

unfortunately yes i am on a tight budget say max £100 so at moment would rather try and get a decent 2nd hand one but try and leave myself with a little cash left for a couple of other bits i want, once i am certain i am going to get back into turning properly then i will be able to put some more money into things. am considering a simple 4 jaw chuck just to start me off for now as i have never used the collet chucks so would be on another learning curve with them too.
thanks for the advice

If the Record 4 jaw chuck is a RP4000 then it will be cmpatible with Vicmarc jaws - and I'd agree that would be the best bet of the chucks you list.

thanks for the advice guys however i have just been given a real nice lathe complete with collet chuck and spare jaws etc. i really cannot believe my luck today will put a post and pics on later when i have got it home

If you are still enterested - Axminster are selling their Goliath chuck at half price - about £50 brand new inc postage.

K

Latest posts

Back