• We invite you to join UKWorkshop.
    Members can turn off viewing Ads!

chuck "adaptor"??

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

marcros

Established Member
Reaction score
Is there such a thing as a male thread (1" x 8 ) with a flange back? Like as ISO backplate, but with a male thread on? I don't know where or what to search for. a male thread that could be welded to a plate would be ok.

I would like to be able to centre it on a drill press table and hold it with appropriate clamps/fixings, so that I can screw on one of my woodturning chucks to the drillpress. when drilled, I can put the chuck on the lathe.

CHJ

Established Member
Reaction score
I would have thought that a hardwood spigot with a good fit in the thread bore would have been accurate enough for a wood piece that is going to move during creation anyway.

Phil Pascoe

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
marcros":2vxlcka5 said:
Is there such a thing as a male thread (1" x 8 ) with a flange back? Like as ISO backplate, but with a male thread on? I don't know where or what to search for. a male thread that could be welded to a plate would be ok.
I would like to be able to centre it on a drill press table and hold it with appropriate clamps/fixings, so that I can screw on one of my woodturning chucks to the drillpress. when drilled, I can put the chuck on the lathe.
https://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-c ... b-ax780266
TO4M has a 1" x 8 thread, according to the answers below.

marcros

Established Member
Reaction score
I could even try one of your gluey ones!

marcros

Established Member
Reaction score
Off topic, but it's my topic...

How will you do an hdpe one? I have loads of that ready for a mallet. Melt and flow it in?

Phil Pascoe

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
I'm going to turn a disc with a hole through the centre say 4" in diameter and 1" deep and fix it to the faceplate, and a disc to fit the hole. I should be able to compress to HDPE enough to fill the thread (1 1/2" x 6 in my case) and still have maybe a 1/2" thick disc at the back - the odd hole isn't going to matter. Plan B is to do it bit by bit with a hot air gun. I really must get going with the mallets - I have probably four or five kilos of mostly coloured HDPE washed and cut up ready to go.

MusicMan

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
If you haven't sorted it by the time I finish rebuilding the Boley (not too long now) I'll make you one!

Keith