Chronic Illness

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

motownmartin

Established Member
Reaction score
Maybe some of you can help me.

A few years ago I started to feel lifeless, lacking energy and troubles in the stomach area, and it got worse as time went on, then 6 weeks ago I had enough and came home from work and visited my GP, and was sent for a sigmoidoscopy, but before that I injured myself on my SCMS and ended up in hospital for surgery, thats turned out fine its the other thing thats bothering me, so off I went for my 2 foot long camera up my you know what and within 5 minutes I was diagnosed with Inflamatory Bowel Disease, probably Ulcerative Colitis, I wont know till I get the results of the biopsy.

The problem is that I am unable to do my 12 hour shifts and am worried what they will have in store for me at work, can they take me off shifts and make me do a different job for less money? how will that affect my pension? would they offer me early retirement through ill health, I am 53, I don't mind early retirement but I still have a sizeable mortgage and won't be able to pay it with a pension that is only half of what I am being paid now.

If anyone of you has had similar circumstances or know anyone else with similar problems, I would be glad to hear about it.

martin, I was diagnosed with that at 25 (im 29), i was some serious pain for a while, but for some reason it has calmed down now, probably from the fact that i stopped drinking alcohol about 3 years ago.

Depending on your prognosis and the doctor declares you fit for work i can't see what your employer can do it about it to be honest?!

Jeez Martin, sorry to hear about this. Is it treatable?
Not sure what your work will say (Walkers, right?), but as soon as you pin down the medical prognosis and what that means, I would go for a chat with your HR bods.
Hoping it all works out for you.
Si.

Hi Martin,

I had a full blown ischemic stroke in 2007, this has done irreparable damage, but never mind that, what is important is the invaluable advice and support I got from the local authority welfare office and especially assigned councillor. You may have to go through your local Citizens Advice Bureau to get this, but my advice would be to go for it, if it came to any industrial action for instance, they would represent you...nothing tried nothing gained...bosshogg

P.S. if you prefer drop me a PM and I will give you some further info. :|

No man is an island

Mark, do you have a lot of time off work.
I don't think all alcohol has an effect on me but Cider seems to give me some trouble.

Si, it might be sometime before I get a prognosis and probably sometime working out whats good and whats bad, it might not be all that bad, all I do know is that i'll have it for the rest of my life so I am trying to plan the routes I can take.
I am amazed that you remembered that I work for Walkers.

Bosshog, pm sent.

I reckon that I have had this for most of my life but it has got worse since I gave up smoking, it may be a coincidence but having done some research lately it seems that I am not the only one, maybe nicotine patches will help :eek:

I had to take loads off at the time, really bad for a few months, lost 2 stone, but now i never take time off (i am self employed), i get bouts of it (possibly 1 or 2 times a year and work on the premise of mind over matter and get through it. its one of those things that if its controlled you will lead a perfectly normal life with a bit of inconvenience every now and then. Obviously this depends on the severity of it, mine is very mild.

The sigmoidoscopy was a barrel of laughs, until the recovery room that is.

It really depends on the policies your company has and whether you can still carryout your duties in a safe and satisfactory manner?

At the end of the day they can do all of those things you mentioned but not until other avenues have been discussed and examined.

I worked for a large organisation and managed a group of about 45 staff.
Over time 2 became unfit for work and were offered more static office jobs which were refused.
One accepted early retirement on the grounds of ill health and the other refused again.
Eventually when his health deteriorated to a point that he became a danger to himself and others, he was forced to leave on the grounds of "exigency of the service" and given early retirement.
I think in both cases their pensions were topped up a bit and these processes took a considerable time?

Speak to your HR people who will probably send you onto Occupational Health for their recommendations?

Rod

Martin..sorry to hear of your problems. As others have said..re employment situation..seek professional advice then discuss with your company.

Obviously depends on what the biopsy says but something else to consider is if you are coeliac.

RogerS":2vopimj3 said:
Martin..sorry to hear of your problems. As others have said..re employment situation..seek professional advice then discuss with your company.

Obviously depends on what the biopsy says but something else to consider is if you are coeliac.

Hi Martin sorry to hear about your illness., As Roger says seek professional advice. Talk to Citizen's Advice, and only when you know all your rights should you approach your employer. Good luck.

Cheers

Mike

I too would like to offer my sympathies. I work for a major food retailer (not Tesco but the same) , I would add that if the prognosis was/is "disabling" then certain disabilities Acts apply and the company would be forced to seriously look into making all job possibilities either easier for you by way of adjusting the workplace or offering a different position but on similar/same pay. We had some driver+warehouse colleagues move into the office because they couldn't opperate the lorry or the pallet trucks. Also it does no harm to check on any insurance polices that you may have.

Alex.

Back