chopsticks, toothpicks & skewers - uses

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dannyr

Established Member
Reaction score
anyone else use these as handy and v cheap dowels, plugs & hole fillers

knowledge about woods (eg bamboo, whitewood) to share?

I always keep a range of these for odd jobs (eg just filled a couple of ancient wormholes w superglued toothpicks - hammer in, pare off)

The bamboo skewers with the flat paddle handles are good as glue spreaders and also for mixing epoxy glue. While on the subject small paper plates are good to mix epoxy glue and a few other things around the workshop.
Regards
John

The bamboo skewers with the flat paddle handles are good as glue spreaders and also for mixing epoxy glue. While on the subject small paper plates are good to mix epoxy glue and a few other things around the workshop.
Regards
John

I use just chopsticks to eat with :)
Metal are harder to use but last longer.

My handy hint though is that microwaveable plastic readymeal trays are really quite durable and worth washing out and saving. On machine teardowns it's handy to be able to drop a related bunch of nuts, bolts and small parts into a tray and keep them together. Makes it easier to figure out how to put things back together.

…On machine teardowns it's handy to be able to drop a related bunch of nuts, bolts and small parts into a tray and keep them together. Makes it easier to figure out how to put things back together.
We keep all the tubs our Chinese take away stuff comes in so they’re always my first port of call for that with the added bonus of having a lid too.

The cut off tops of gallon water bottles and similar make good funnels.
👍
The same goes for bottled water with a really good tapered neck - like litre bottles of San Pellegrino and Badoit.
Those make great high flow funnels for e.g. topping up the car windscreen washer bottle.

Common tig welding rods - copper coated mild steel wire - are easily cut with a pair of pliers and bent into S shaped hanging hooks for spray painting parts. They'll take quite a weight.

Like the OP I use cocktail sticks as mini dowels - I keep a tiny drill bit in the box of cocktail sticks.

Latest posts

Back